Thread: Ukraine (closed; covers till August 2014)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    RB, good points and simple answers.
    Some of those sites you listed have a pristine reputation to uphold and won’t send innuendo to press. Not too sure about ND however !

I’ve known Kaur for six or seven years, had beers, broke bread, etc. Although half my age, inspiring and would make a good buck sergeant. But, the level of experience that a Western government would expect from say an analyst is a far cry. I’m not betting the farm on your links, nor an inspiring SGT.

Voice pipes. In the 20 years I've been here and 18 working for the Estonian govt., I have learned that even Estonian so-called voice pipes are not to be taken with a grain of salt. Unless of course, someone actually managed to slip TS info and get it published before being shot to death. You are then correct, that the Russians know we are reading, and, they are indeed sending this sierra to press hoping we do said. How we interpret said, well, that's where our successors' come into to play. That raw data must be accompanied with the reporter's spin, to include, at the very least, the source's reputation. I for one would not send that to the NMIC.

I would not go blaming EUCOM. Worked for them for years and they rarely had anything to say without DC pushing the buttons. All the O-10s in the world back then got a sound bite of say in decision making. But, you knew that already.

Yes Sir, it’s called a wire feed.
    Stan ---then you inherently understand the term "confirm or deny"---yes it is a wire service but most editors of the major news feeds ask for confirmation before releasing which you already knew- I am assuming. Just as the mean and methods guys attempt to deny or confirm by other means.

Let's see now it is the WaPo, the NYTs and in Germany der Spiegel so I am assuming that no one in those organizations did a fact check as required before releasing remember these are western wire services not Interfax which relays straight propaganda for the FSB/GRU right now.

So the three above simply went with what a wing and a prayer and threw a dart against something pinned on the wall and said let's print it?

Come on Stan you know the game as well as I do.

Some in this business would call the simple release and accompanying video a "tip" and run with it--but then you knew that as well

Here on this thread it seems that one must quote something from a major source, double-check the author to make sure he is known and reputable and then be able to cross reference and double-check sources and oh by the way be sure to footnote and doubly make sure the footnote matches and is not misspelled. And make sure that is linked and pasted correctly.

It is a wonder that using this method gets any discussion going as I indicated to wm come over to the other side and mesh with the varied topics-- it is a different world and one does not have to ensure that the Ukrainian name on the article is a "well known author" or that is was carried by a non known entity on a poorly built web site which was probably poorly funded and run by two people getting info via a poor DSL connection from someone within the Crimea.

Noticed now that the mirhond's of the world are getting more press release attention from the wire services---do we need to double-check those press releases for their veracity as well? Before quoting them in this thread?

Of course I have seen these mirhond articles quoted as well on the Moscow Times as well a the Kiev Post so I guess they are questionable as well since they were referencing specific wire services.

By the way several of those wire service releases quoted much of what we have seen here via mirhond so I guess we can what ---state we have a "confirm".
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-05-2014 at 06:52 PM.