Thread: Nine children among 16 dead after US serviceman attacks villagers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Fine, ganulv,

opine and pontificate all you want about religion and everything else under the Sun. But, don't quote me for subject matter which is not in the post.

Personally I think your comments belong in the junior fuzz stickery category; but, as you "rarely overthink statements related to religion made by my fellow Americans", I rarely overthink offhand statements made by you.

Regards

Mike

Default 0–to–ad hominem in no time flat!

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    opine and pontificate all you want about religion and everything else under the Sun. But, don't quote me for subject matter which is not in the post.

Personally I think your comments belong in the junior fuzz stickery category; but, as you "rarely overthink statements related to religion made by my fellow Americans", I rarely overthink offhand statements made by you.

Regards

Mike
    Decorum, counselor! I sense we are at cross-purposes here. Let’s just drop it.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post

Regards

Mike
    You seem to be very knowledgeable so I don't understand the informative posts and the defensive posts. It is not necessary to respond to every post no matter how petty you may find them. The readers can make that determination on their own, you know. Displaying basic ego defense mechanisms are considered unprofessional here as I learned myself a long time ago. Lets continue..
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Council Member

Default Yes,

Let's.

Regards

Mike

Default The other side of the debate

Many willing to cut Afghan shooting suspect slack

On the website of Iraq Veterans Against the War, organizer Aaron Hughes declared that Afghan war veterans "believe that this incident is not a case of one 'bad apple' but the effect of a continued U.S. military policy of drone strikes, night raids, and helicopter attacks where Afghan civilians pay the price." Those veterans, he wrote, "hope that the Kandahar massacre will be a turning point" in the war.
    http://apnews.myway.com//article/201...D9TJ77TG0.html
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Council Member

Default Bales' Platoon Leader Names Himself

From AP, Army capt.: Afghan killing suspect has saved lives (by Gene Johnson, March 17, 2012):

SEATTLE—A former platoon leader for the soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians says the allegations are "100 percent out of character" for the man, whom he described as a model soldier who saved other soldiers' lives.

Army Capt. Chris Alexander, 32, said Robert Bales worked as a stock trader before the Sept. 11 attacks motivated him to enlist in the Army.

"I've always admired him for that -- he had a good thing going, and he dropped it to serve his country," Alexander said Saturday in a phone interview.

Bales enlisted about two months after 9/11 and had served with the 3rd Stryker Brigade based at Joint Base Lewis-McChord since Sept 11, 2002.

He became a staff sergeant in April 2008, following his second deployment in Iraq. He went to Iraq one more time before his fourth deployment, to Afghanistan. ...Alexander was Bales' platoon leader during one of his Iraq missions. He described Bales as "one of the best guys I ever worked with."

"He always made sure his team was ready, that they were briefed on the mission, that the equipment was checked," Alexander said. "Anything he was given to do, you never had to worry about it getting done and done well."

Alexander said he and others who served with Bales are stunned by the allegations. ...
    More in story, but substantially the same as the Free Republic posts.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Culpeper View Post
    Many willing to cut Afghan shooting suspect slack

http://apnews.myway.com//article/201...D9TJ77TG0.html
    These folks hold a world view that is increasingly common in our culture, one that is consistantly ready to absolve all individual responsibility and attempt to force it on society. See Burkett's "Stolen Valor" for another take on this, and see Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" for an allegory of fundamental flaws in this (lack of) morality.

Default A comparison that may be made

Amidst the reporting, some clearly inspired, I found a reference to what could become an issue - comparing the case of Aafia Siddiqui, who got 86yrs jail for attempting to shoot US soldiers in Afghanistan and what may happen to Staff. Sgt. Bale.

Wikipedia on her:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aafia_Siddiqui
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Amidst the reporting, some clearly inspired, I found a reference to what could become an issue - comparing the case of Aafia Siddiqui, who got 86yrs jail for attempting to shoot US soldiers in Afghanistan and what may happen to Staff. Sgt. Bale.

Wikipedia on her:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aafia_Siddiqui
    Great analogy. One of America's great problems is the inability to see the World through the eyes of others.

The wider point is that America in Afghanistan is dead. Dead and gone, it doesn't matter whether America pulls out tomorrow or in the next two years.