Thread: War Adjectives

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MMA thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Not to be a smart ass but could that mean that war is indeed war? As for a difference between the two, is that really important?
    We don't have a good track record for wrestling because we've tried to box against wrestlers, judokas and karatekas.

The problem is not that we can't do good stuff -- the problem is that we clumsily create problems and don't intervene until it's too late and the problems have become unbelievably complex and not totally conducive to a military solution.
    We have to up our game and branch out from 'traditional schools of thought' about war and warfare. Wars always push those involved to innovate or die; we are still alive and so I have hope...

Been looking for a good, accessible, Ecology book to share and am still looking however they all boil down to competition for resources between individual/systems. My Microbiology books and Water/Wastewater Treatment books can be summed up as how to define/quantify nutrient/waste cycling in controlled/wild bacterial systems. Some of my Geotechnical Engineering books are great about mapping and understanding the engineering properties of heterogeneous foundations upon which we hope to build. Bouquet's book The Scientific Way of Warfare does a good job of covering how we are trying to move things along from art to science in the application of warfare (I see warfare as methods of waging war...the adjectives preceding warfare are thus descriptive and needed...akin to eskimos and their words for snow). McNamara's failures & successes are pretty interesting...he was building on concepts from the 30's and 40's. German Economic History has been very interesting as well...

Found no answers to bet the farm on but still searching

Thus, I suggest the real issue is not how do we get better at fighting a war; we can do that and we adapt pretty well -- the issue is what wars we get into and what the goals are. If the goals are not achievable...
    So I am reading you correctly here Ken, the Powell Doctrine is a good thing?

Best,

Steve
    Last edited by Surferbeetle; 03-16-2009 at 05:47 AM.
    Sapere Aude