Thread: IW Terminology and the General Purpose Forces

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cavguy, there is a link below on how to draw a systems map. This is old style but it is simple and very clear. Killcullen used this style just a few days ago in an article in the Washington Post. In fact Killcullen has used this style several times in several of his publications. That is one thing that I always found strange, he is often quoted as an expert, and he is, but all his theories are based on systems thinking, which is very sound, but at the same time people claim systems thinking dosen't work
    Anyway maybe this will help. When you go to the site click the icon at the top that says system mapping!

http://systems.open.ac.uk/materials/t552/index.htm

PS:Wilf this is a class done in a school in the UK, maybe it make sense now
    Last edited by slapout9; 02-27-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: fix stuff

Link to Killcullen's system map of COIN...in color no less.

http://www.smallwars.quantico.usmc.m...ctice_2007.pdf
    Last edited by slapout9; 02-27-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add stuff

Post Slap,

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Cavguy, there is a link below on how to draw a systems map. This is old style but it is simple and very clear. Killcullen used this style just a few days ago in an article in the Washington Post. In fact Killcullen has used this style several times in several of his publications. That is one thing that I always found strange, he is often quoted as an expert, and he is, but all his theories are based on systems thinking, which is very sound, but at the same time people claim systems thinking dosen't work
    Anyway maybe this will help. When you go to the site click the icon at the top that says system mapping!

http://systems.open.ac.uk/materials/t552/index.htm

PS:Wilf this is a class done in a school in the UK, maybe it make sense now
    This may be because systems thinking works extremely well for creating presentations with which to gain buyin on a particular COA. It helps to draw the picture. It does not OTOH give the "right" answer. It as with so many other forms of planning is an effective guide but unfortunately gets sold as the silver bullet sometimes.

Thats probably why you see so much blowback on it.

Getting buyin is all about the sale, getting it done is all about the soldier, I havn't seen too many complain about it when its kept in that context
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    This may be because systems thinking works extremely well for creating presentations with which to gain buyin on a particular COA. It helps to draw the picture. It does not OTOH give the "right" answer. It as with so many other forms of planning is an effective guide but unfortunately gets sold as the silver bullet sometimes.

Thats probably why you see so much blowback on it.

Getting buyin is all about the sale, getting it done is all about the soldier, I havn't seen too many complain about it when its kept in that context

Ron, that is a rather penetrating insight. I would add that people often forget that for it to be really useful you have to do a fractal analysis down to where the targets are concrete(tactical level). I did this at a workshop recently and people were surprised how useful at problem solving it can be when brought down to this level instead of just leaving it with broad general concepts (Strategic Level). No one ever told them to do this!

Thumbs up That's a good point and you done good

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    ...I did this at a workshop recently and people were surprised how useful at problem solving it can be when brought down to this level instead of just leaving it with broad general concepts (Strategic Level). No one ever told them to do this!
    and hopefully they learned the value of a thorough drill down to the basics without forgetting that you don't want to lose sight of the forest for the trees...

That, unfortunately, happens a lot, too.