Thread: The Top 100 Public Intellectuals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default How about Hungarian?

I understand, perhaps incorrectly, that Finnish is related to Hungarian (Finno-Ugric).

Cheers

JohnT

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    I understand, perhaps incorrectly, that Finnish is related to Hungarian (Finno-Ugric).

Cheers

JohnT
    Estonian is close enough to Finnish, but Hungarian is too distant. It's more like English/German. And I don't speak Hungarian anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finno-Ugric_languages

The problem with language barriers is ignorance.
    We might lack important lessons and couldn't even learn about our shortcoming (well, except by the evidence of failures in wartime).

Take the Germans of 1939, for example. They were well behind the Finnish in the use of mortars, sniping & winter warfare at least. They didn't learn about it till '42 when the Finnish shared their knowledge to their German brothers in arms via German mountain troops in Finland, though.

Council Member

Default Friedmania

Just returned from Christmas exodus, and spent my spare time during the break reading Friedman's new book, "Hot, Flat, and Crowded," and then because I was in the zone, "The World is Flat." Brain is pretty fried now, but that said, I am a big fan. A lot of what he writes is anecdotal and he probably overstates what can really be done to fix problems, but his themes are pretty dead on.

TWIF deals with the pros and cons of globalization, and he argues that those that adapt to the "flat world" will profit and prosper. He admits that millions remain in poverty, but the trend for states and nations that adapt is a rise from poverty for many. His overall theme that competition is global, and you can no longer stay on top without serious effort rings very true today.

HFaC is his call for a green revolution, with America leading the charge in new technologies. His stats for inaction are scary, and it would be a positive for America and the world if we polluted less and used efficient energy, but I doubt there is an overnight cure, or even a several year cure just around the corner. Unless Val Kilmer can steal Cold Fusion from Keanu Reeves, we're going to be using carbon for a while. Its worth a read if you are interested in the environmental/business debate though.

I've read 2 of his other books (just waiting for "Lexus and Olive Tree") and read his column in NYT too. I think he was a good pick for the list.
    "What do you think this is, some kind of encounter group?"
    - Harry Callahan, The Enforcer.

I think it's instructive to note that Gulen's pick was John Esposito.