Thread: A Third Way

Default A Third Way

I was in Basra during 2006 and 2007. IMO the author makes an accurate observation about how we planned and executed the extraction from Basra. However, I'll take some convincing that the same is possible in Helmand any time soon. I think this misses the strategic context but worth a read all the same.

http://www.rusi.org/research/militar...4A6D7D483D5C3/

Default Exit or redeployment?

Kingo1RTR,

I like the last paragraph:
    Yet it is not sustainable for the primary military effort of the West’s two most capable powers to be indefinitely focused on a handful of remote Afghan provinces. The price of a sustained Western commitment to Afghanistan is that its liability – in blood and treasure - has to be kept to manageable levels.
    Now we both, plus other allies (Danes, Estonians etc), have made in media reporting Helmand the focus - how could we readily redeploy? IMHO that aspect the author does not cover.

What is avoided in the UK, not sure about the USA; is why are we so heavily committed in Helmand Province? Is it that crucial, I fear not. What are the key areas in Afghanistan? Unlikely to be those of the Soviet period - the main circular highway and the cities.

davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    What is avoided in the UK, not sure about the USA; is why are we so heavily committed in Helmand Province? Is it that crucial, I fear not. What are the key areas in Afghanistan? Unlikely to be those of the Soviet period - the main circular highway and the cities.

davidbfpo

David, I think they are going to build a big pipeline through Helmand province which may have a lot to do with it

Council Member

Default The international agreement ....

(Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India - a rare example of their co-operation) was reported by Afghanistan News:

India agrees to $5bn trans-Afghan pipeline
    Written by www.quqnoos.com Thursday, 24 April 2008 16:21
    Ministry announces gas deal between four neighbouring countries

INDIA has officially signed up to a $5.3 billion project to build a gas pipeline through Afghanistan, linking Turkmenistan, Pakistan and India.

A meeting held yesterday (Wednesday) by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) saw government officials from Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India sign an agreement for the new 1600km pipeline, which will be completed in 2012.

The gas pipeline – ‘Afghan-Trans’ – will start from the Doulat Abad area in Turkmenistan, continue along the Herat-Kandahar highway to Quetta in Pakistan and end up in India.

The pipeline will be able to transport about 33 billion metres cubed of gas a year.

Afghanistan will take 5 million metres cubed of gas from the pipe every day during the first year of a contract that lasts for 30 years.

The country will take 14 million metres cubed in the fifth year.

The work of the project will be completed by a consortium comprised of oil companies from four countries.

Afghanistan will get $400 million in transit fees every year and thousands of people will be employed when the project starts.
    The approximate location of the pipeline is attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images