I think politics is just what this guy fixated on, it could have easily have been a specific corporation that he had a job at, or some family members, or any of thousands of other things to become attached to in a twisted up way.

This really had to do with badly handling mental illness and firearms in that locality. The US needs to revisit how we deal with those issues in a way that is not offensive to the second amendment. I think it's possible to do it, and I think it's an issue that could be solved with guidance rather than any sort of national legislation.

Virginia had a lot of problems with this, and it took some real tragedy for them to improve. The not so smart thing was for everyone else not to invest in learning from their mistakes. This is one result of that. While politicians in the US need to be more civil than they have rather stupidly chosen not to be, it's not all about that to be sure. We can survive bad language, but people don't survive when mentally ill people get violent with weapons of any sort.