Thread: What Are You Currently Reading? 2013

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    Have you taken a stab at Herodotus? I don’t think anyone would go so far as to call The Histories readable—the historical geography in The Landmark edition helps, as does Carolyn Dewald’s Introduction in the Oxford World’s Classics edition—but that has a lot to do with the scope of his ambition. As the editor of The Landmark edition says, Thucydides was interested in politics and warfare, Herodotus was interested in everything.
    I have taken a stab at Herodotus and intend to return again to him (a copy is also sitting on my Kindle).

I studied a lot of Greek philosophy while at university, I am finding The Histories readable in comparison
    RR

"War is an option of difficulties"

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    I have taken a stab at Herodotus and intend to return again to him (a copy is also sitting on my Kindle).
    One of my teachers told me that he grades with two things in mind: the scope of the student’s ambition and his/her success in fulfilling it. Herodotus scores well on both!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    I studied a lot of Greek philosophy while at university, I am finding The Histories readable in comparison
    I have studied very little Greek philosophy, but just last night I was reading a short piece about ontology which makes reference to “competitive metaphysics in the Greek style.”
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)