SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Conflicts -- Current & Future > Other, By Region > Central Asia

Old 05-26-2015   #121
Bill Moore
Council Member

Craig,

Welcome to SWJ. I encourage you to use the search function on SWJ, and I'm believe you'll find considerable information on Chechnya. Not just a regional issue, we fought their extremists in Afghanistan, and they play a role in the Islamic State. If you look at the Ukraine thread, there are reports of Chechens fighting there also, allegedly at the invite of the Russians.

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...light=chechnya

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...light=chechnya

http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/che...sources-at-swj
Bill Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #122
craigdouglasalbert

Default Thank you

Yes, thank you. I am writing a larger manuscript using these resources; I am looking at the CE as well as what I call the looming ethnic civil war in Chechnya; the factions there are ready to war with one another.
Thanks,
craigdouglasalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #123
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Why aren't more people paying attention to Chechnya?

Cited in part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdouglasalbert View Post
Why aren't more people paying attention to Chechnya?
Craig,

For many reasons most regular SWJ posters watches other places than the Caucasus region and those places can change. Secondly for a long time I suspect many people thought the Chechen fighters threat was exaggerated, so tended to dismiss Chechens and Chechnya. Add in the difficulty for most media to report within the region - which is very rare - so one is left with accepting state or insurgent views or locating a reliable distant observer.

Many readers I suspect think Chechnya is "In Russia's backyard" so leave it to them. Then when Chechens appear in the Ukraine, on both sides, it gets confusing.

So you are welcome to present your viewpoint and readers.
Old 05-27-2015   #124
AdamG
Council Member

Some of us wrote about Chechnya twenty years ago. Your turn now.
Drops to a ten-rupee jezail
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #125
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Chechnya, War Without Trace

Showing @ the Frontline Club, London on Friday 12 June 2015, 7 PM an Al-Jazeera documentary:
Quote:
In the space of just a few years, Chechnya has undergone a remarkable transformation. Gone are the minefields and piles of rubble, which have now been replaced by broad avenues, luxury boutiques and glass-fronted skyscrapers. Itís virtually impossible to see that there was ever a war.Award-winning journalist Manon Loizeau has spent the past 20 years covering the Chechen conflict. In Chechnya, War Without Trace she returns to the places she knew well, filming undercover, to examine the lasting effects of conflict with Russia.
Behind the gleaming facade of the new Grozny, Loizeau discovers women and men seemingly more terrified now than during all the years of war and occupation. Although a fifth of the population vanished during the war, a fear of persecution has led to a collective forgetting of history.
Loizeau mixes the moving stories of those who search in vain for their loved ones with footage capturing the newly-polished surface of Chechnya, a country that remains internally traumatised and restless.
Chechnya, War Without Trace won the Grand Prize of the World Organization Against Torture (OMCT) at 2015 FIFDH (Human Rights Forum and Film Festival) in Geneva.
Shortly after the showing it will appear on the club's YouTube channel, plus the Q&A:http://www.frontlineclub.com/screeni...hout-trace-qa/