SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Small Wars Participants & Stakeholders > Government Agencies & Officials

Government Agencies & Officials War zone governance, and in-country political, economic, development assistance.

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2009   #1
Beelzebubalicious
Council Member

Default State dept Responds to General Zinni

Department of State Responds to General Anthony Zinni's "Smart Power" Proposal

http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/arc...partment_of_s/
Old 07-20-2010   #2
mnmaria20
Banned

this is a responsibility of that country which has the case, as like Pakistan should be handle its own case self, and should not interfere from others in own matter and it should not take tension of others.

Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-20-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Id'd as a Spammer and banned.
mnmaria20 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 07-20-2010   #3
SWJED
Small Wars Journal

mnmaria20: your post makes no sense, especially on a thread about Smart Power.
Old 07-20-2010   #4
slapout9
Council Member

We should draft Zinni to run for President. I've seen him on a couple of talk shows where he talks about some domestic issues and he is light years ahead of anybody out there. In my expert biased opinion.
Old 07-20-2010   #5
Bob's World
Council Member

I've listened to General Zinni and am a fan. Too bad his plan for Iraq was tossed aside back before we went into that troubled land...

As to this, I think he lays out good advice for how to go about business as we are currently going more effectively and efficiently.

The better question yet to be addressed is: are we going about the right things to really best serve our national interests in the emerging global environment. I argue no. Harder, faster, even smarter at the wrong thing is still the wrong thing.

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)
Old 07-21-2010   #6
Dayuhan
Council Member

Location: Latitude 17 5' 11N, Longitude 120 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubalicious View Post
Department of State Responds to General Anthony Zinni's "Smart Power" Proposal
Two things in the response jumped out at me...

Quote:
Here is where recent developments are moving fast and might not be visible to those outside of the U.S. Government.
One wonders when they propose to make these developments visible... really, if the developments are only visible to those inside the tent, what impact are they going to have outside the tent?

Quote:
S/CRS and its partners have already handled numerous small-scale deployments around the world in 25 hot spots, with a team of 20 currently in Afghanistan, and others in and out of places like Pakistan and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
20 of 'em!! Now that's what I call commitment. Them Talibs must be shakin' in thar boots.

All in all... well, it's very passionate and very optimistic and the lad seems to have his heart in the right place... but I'll believe it's working when I see it working, and until I see it working I'll suspect that it's not, and hope somebody is exploring alternatives. Maybe I'm just a pissy old cynic, but there it is.

Last edited by Dayuhan; 07-21-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Closed Thread