SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > The Small Wars Community of Interest > Miscellaneous Goings On

Miscellaneous Goings On Events, books, new analyses, heard on the street notables, etc.

Old 03-05-2016   #1
Morgan
Council Member

Default New ideas for US Special Forces?

Multiple articles have been written about the increased reliance on US SOF, particularly Special Forces, as global affairs continue their unpredictable course, and whether the US military will apply the lessons learned from 14 years of war or discard it as we did after Vietnam.

One of the primary lessons learned is the need for greater language and cultural proficiency/ understanding. Could SF realize this by aggressively recruiting from minority communities.....1st Group recruiting heavily from Chinese or Filipino groups, 5th Group recruiting heavily from Arabic/ Muslim communities....in essence, our SF becoming a sort of "US Foreign Legion" enabling the Groups to become far more linguistically and culturally savvy than they currently are...?

Thoughts?

"If you can dodge a car, you can dodge a ball". Patches O'Houlihan
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016   #2
Granite_State
Council Member

Makes sense to me. A return to SF's Lodge Act/American Foreign Legion roots.
Granite_State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016   #3
Bill Moore
Council Member

Not exactly a new idea, we had the Lodge Act

http://www.coldwar.org/articles/50s/lodge_act.asp

Quote:
The Lodge Act was passed in 1951. It was initially intended to enable the military to create a “foreign legion” of Soviet block expatriots to be used against a Russian invasion of Europe. When the Pentagon balked the law was used to recruit Finns and others into the ranks of Special Forces, primarily to create teams that could be dropped into Eastern Europe to organize, train and lead partisan resistance and sabotage of Soviet supply lines.
I can't recall when this act expired, but I recall some of the SF NCOs who came in under the Lodge Act. Some were legendary warriors, while others were problematic. Not unlike our selection today, so I agree the gain is greater than the risk. Also the OSS aggressively recruited French and other European expatriates to man the Jedburgh teams and conduct other operations.

I suspect other government organizations still do this, and they have the lead for UW in so called peacetime.

It is certainly an idea that should be considered seriously. It is a heck of a lot easier to produce a SF soldier than someone proficient in a foreign language with deep cultural knowledge.

On a side note, SF today is much more diverse than when I first entered its ranks over 3 decades ago.
Bill Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016   #4
davidbfpo
Council Member

In 2007 there was a thread'Create a U.S. Foreign Legion' with 22 posts and 4.6k views. On a quick skim it also covered the plethora of contractors already in use. Link:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=2510