Thread: Syria under Bashir Assad (closed end 2014)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I don't have a problem with you, per se, but with nearly all of ideas you mentioned.

I don't know whether it's morale, or if I'm nave or something, but there are few things I'm insistent upon. First is that I insist calling a spade a spade, no matter what it takes. Second is I say what I think: I'm not acting one way while thinking the other, I'm not trying to be diplomatic for the sake of anything, and - for example - I can't 'make friends' with people that have plagiarised my publications even if they apologise. Kill me, I'm that way, and can't say why, but for similar reasons I couldn't make deals with mass murders.

Back to the topic: in this very case, I do not see how can anybody expect to make deals with a mass murderer that is then actually a puppet? I find it silly alone to call him a 'president of Syria', whereas he's little else but a representative for a conglomerate of yet more mass murderers, criminals, and terrorists.

Talking that way signals to me: 'Hey Tom, I've got no clue what I'm talking about, but this sounds like a damn good idea.'

That's why I started asking for both, your knowledge and logic.

For example: when you're talking about 'SAA', then tell me what kind of 'SAA' is there any more?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after studying the Syrian military for years, and following this war on day-by-day base ever since it erupted, I cannot but conclude that, to the best of my knowledge, there is none, nitchevo, nix, absolutely nothing left of the 'SAA' - and that since quite long. Theoretically, one could consider the 'NDF' for its 'successor/replacement', but this is not even that: the NDF does consist of a number of companies and whatever other sorts of 'detachments', 'task forces' etc., of the former SAA. But, these have been reformed and retrained into newly-established battalions, with their - entirely new - designations too.

Without Iranians - i.e. without IRGC-QF's battlefield management staff - there would be even no unitary command of 'regime' forces.

And what's this NDF? Better guards. Even all the possible detachments from former 'elite' SAA units (like the 1st, 3rd, or 4th ADs) - now only have a bare minimum of 'offensive support' capability (in terms of, 'they can provide company-sized tank detachments for support of specific, short-duration operations'), while the majority of militias grouped underneath the aegis of the NDF only have a bare minimum of defensive capability.

Unsurprisingly, and to keep it short, the main military force of the 'Syrian regime' is not the NDF; it's a conglomerate of foreign - Iranian-controlled - militias (some of them, like certain Hezbollah units, with something like 'special forces' style of training). They're running the show: they're centrepieces of all offensives and all major defensive operations.

That's why I'm asking: it's not only 'morale', and politics. It's practiality too. How do you - or anybody else - expect the regime to 'lash its dogs', say Iranians to go, and then 'regain control of Syria' if this is de-facto the only military-like force in its hands?

Such expectations simply make no sense to me.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrowBat View Post
    I don't have a problem with you, per se, but with nearly all of ideas you mentioned.

Such expectations simply make no sense to me.
    Fair enough pal. I've long since given up on the SWC. The toxicity levels are too high for my liking. Its obvious this thread is your little fiefdom and I wish you all the best with your interesting endeavour (there are so many undiscovered SMEs out there just aching for their big break).

I for one can't be asked anymore. There was a time when I would have passionately argued with the best of them but this "parrot is dead". I found my way here on the heels of my betters. I shall leave behind them too.

I wash may hands of this silliness.

T, Out

Why is it so that whoever is talking about 'SAA', whenever asked to explain what is 'SAA' today, to cite at least one of 'SAA' units that is still existent - and this does not matter what person or in what position, nor from what place on this planet - is offended?

Some may doubt Crowbat's postings on the situation with the Assad regime in Syria, just refound this BBC News report 'Syria: Assad loyalists concerned by rise of paramilitaries', now four days old:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29429941

It ends with an optimistic passage:
    Most Syrians, whether they support the opposition or government, want to see an end to the war. But only a just deal that prevented reprisals and brought to justice those responsible for war crimes would allow the dust to settle.
    davidbfpo

The insurgents have launched a counterattack on Hindarat, yesterday, and seem to have recovered at least a part of the place.

This didn't improve their situation a lot, then the regime is still overlooking all the roads in the area, but what's interesting is that the insurgents are claiming to have captured quite a lots of 'Afghans and Iranians' too.

Below two photos of the captured 'IRGC'... cough... 'Syrian Arab Army' troops in question.

And in Kobane...The Daesh has breached defences on the eastern side of the town, and Kurds are now down to desperate measures, including:
    Kurdish Female Suicide Bomber Strikes ISIS
    ...A female Kurdish fighter has carried out a suicide attack in the besieged Syrian town of Kobane, killing an unknown number of fighters from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a monitoring group has said.The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said a woman blew herself up at an ISIL position east of Kobane on Sunday, detonating a grenade that was in her possession, killing ISIL fighters in the process.
    ...while the Daesh is not only said to be entering Kobane from south too, but its idiots are already proudly distributing photos of beheaded female YPG combatants around the internet.

BTW, it's ironic to read CNN's and similar reports about the 'ISIL advancing in spite of air strikes', or 'changing tactics and scattering'. Perhaps this is the case in Iraq, but a review of all CENTCOM releases about air strikes flown over Syria in period 22/23 September - 4 October 2014, has shown that the USAF, USN, and five allied air forces have flown precisely six (6) air strikes against targets in Kobane area. None of them against any target closer than 15km from that town.

Sigh...
    Attached Images Attached Images