Thread: Rifle squad composition

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Rifle squad composition

I posted this on another board and didn't get much response. I'm curious to know what people here might think of it.

I was brought up in the doctrine of balanced fire teams, two in the army light infantry squad that I knew, or three in the bigger Marine Corps squad.

I've read some articles that advocate a squad design made up of a light fire team and a heavy fire team. This is somewhat closer to the WWII squad design of scout group, rifle group, and gun group. The light fire team is usually envisioned as riflemen and grenadiers, with the heavy fire team as some combination of belt fed weapons, rocket launchers, and designated riflemen (squad sharpshooters).

Your ideas about the exact specifics of weapons mix; squad size and numbers; two fire teams v. three; four man fire teams v. five man fire teams, etc., isn't what I'm asking about.

I want to know what folks think about the current doctrinal principal of balanced fire teams v. light and heavy teams in the same squad.

I'm more comfortable with balanced fire teams from experience, but I find the light/heavy idea interesting.

What say you?
    Last edited by Rifleman; 01-11-2007 at 08:44 PM.