SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Small Wars Participants & Stakeholders > Law Enforcement

Law Enforcement The application of law, order, and justice -- here, there, and everywhere / international.

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2011   #1
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Deadly 'War On Cops' Sparks US Tactic Review

Spotted by another friend a news story picked up by a mobile phone website: http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news..._tactic_review

There is a short video clip by Sky News and the story opens with:
Quote:
A series of shootings has left 15 officers dead in January alone - with 11 killed in one 24-hour period alone.
I do recall twenty five years ago the death toll for US LE was cited on a Rochester PD duty parade as several a week, occasionally one a day.

Is this a media furore or does it reflect concerns on the ground and further up the command / political chain?
Old 01-30-2011   #2
AdamG
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
Is this a media furore or does it reflect concerns on the ground and further up the command / political chain?
Media hype & squealing, linking unrelated incidents into a pretended trend as a precursor to a political move.

Care to guess what the tangentially related headlines will read?

G'head, take a guess. I'll be back after the commercial breaks.
Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg
Old 01-31-2011   #3
selil
i pwnd ur ooda loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
Spotted by another friend a news story picked up by a mobile phone website: http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news..._tactic_review

There is a short video clip by Sky News and the story opens with:

I do recall twenty five years ago the death toll for US LE was cited on a Rochester PD duty parade as several a week, occasionally one a day.

Crazy media. You can look up every officer here www.odmp.org and find that 160 died last year. It varies year to year but is about that many.

Personal note. I've personally known three officers shot in the line of duty in the last six months.
The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Last edited by selil; 01-31-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2011   #4
SJPONeill
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
Media hype & squealing, linking unrelated incidents into a pretended trend as a precursor to a political move.

Care to guess what the tangentially related headlines will read?

G'head, take a guess. I'll be back after the commercial breaks.
My guess would be the rise (again) of the dreaded 4GW hydra..."Run away, run away the [insert contemporary bad guys here] are coming...!"
Old 04-25-2011   #5
AdamG
Council Member

Paging COL Kilgore. COL Kilgore to the flight line...

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...t-in-van-nuys/

Quote:
VAN NUYS (CBS/AP) A man shot and damaged a Los Angeles police helicopter Sunday and forced it to make an emergency landing at a Van Nuys airport before he was subdued by family members and arrested, authorities said.
The man was firing shots at random with a rifle early in the morning, then turned his fire toward the responding police helicopter and hit the fuel tank, Assistant Chief Earl Paysinger said. The helicopter landed safely at Van Nuys Airport, and no officers were hurt.
Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg
Closed Thread