SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Military Art & Science Applied > Strategic Compression

Strategic Compression The compression of roles and effects. The Strategic Corporal meets the "turn left" National Security Advisor.

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2006   #1
Culpeper
Council Member

Default Interviews with a USMC sniper: Shooter

Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin, USMC

www.harrisononline.com

and

National Public Radio
Old 11-19-2006   #2
jcustis
Council Member

Default Only a 1/4 of the story

I don't know Coughlin personally, and only met his compadre Kuhlman once, but the exploits laid out in the book often came at the expense of other things. Specifically, there were primary duties that the dynamic duo of Coughlin and Kuhlman were supposed to be executing. None of them involved roaming around as their own sniper team.

The antagonist character in Officer Bob couldn't be further from the truth, but I guess that's Coughlin's perogative when he writes a book about himself. We don't get to hear about what he should have been doing, because I guess that's not sexy enough.

Not directed at you Culpeper, but Shooter is the modern Bravo-Two-Zero. Heavy on fiction, or at least half-truths.
Old 11-19-2006   #3
Culpeper
Council Member

No offense taken. But, what was he supposed to have been doing and did it involve his retirement? Is this why his book isn't on the SWJ reading list? The guy seems kind of weird to me for some reason. I can't explain it though. Nevertheless, I'm going to read the book. On my part, there is no point in having contempt prior to investigation. I'll need to read the book first.

Last edited by Culpeper; 11-19-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2006   #4
jcustis
Council Member

Default It goes back to his original duties

Coughlin and Kulman were the Co. Gunnery Sergeant and Co. Executive Oficer for H&S Co. 3/4. H&S companies are a beast, especially in a combat environment. "Officer Bob" spent a lot of time trying to get them to do their primary duties, none of which involved sniping.

I can't take away from Coughlin that he may have put a number of BGs under who needed to be shot, but he and Kuhlman took every liberty to try and do things their way, often contrary to other orders.

As for why he seems "weird", you can contact (PMs) me after you read the book and I'll give you a bit more into the goings-on of those two chaps.
Old 11-19-2006   #5
SWJED
Small Wars Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpeper View Post
Is this why his book isn't on the SWJ reading list?
No, this thread is the first I've heard of the book and the SWJ bases its selections on professional military reading lists and recommendations by professionals.
Old 11-19-2006   #6
Culpeper
Council Member

I corrected the typing error. Thanks for the other input as well. I'll finish the book and contact you. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2006   #7
Culpeper
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWJED View Post
No, this thread is the first I've heard of the book and the SWJ bases its selections on professional military reading lists and recommendations by professionals.

I've completed the book recently. I don't foresee this book recommended by professionals.
Closed Thread