Thread: My Brother the Bomber

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Old wine in new bottles

Bourbon,

Thanks for the links. I like reading Jason Burke and this is no exception. He has added some new details, helps with some context - notably the importance of travelling abroad, invariably UK to Pakistan, but it is "old wine". For example I admire those who have publically renounced Hizb, like Shiraz Maher, but Jason Burke is repeating old news.

A variety of issues are there. What has happened to all those reported as being radicalised, say in Bosnia and the anti-Soviet war in Afghanistan, who have not pursued the cause? Yes, they are older, may have no commitments. I cannot recall one example in the public domain of this and thousands must have done this.

What does society do for an individual who rejects being radicalised and wants to return to his past life? They might be on the law enforcement / intelligence "radar" or fear reprisals or being denounced by the radicals.

Dispite all my reading we still do not understand what has happened, so cannot intervene at the right point for example. In the UK context the government talks about common values, but there has been no public discussion I know of what they are.

As one Muslim iman asked - what do you replace the radical ideology with?

Yes, some are termed religious novices (to Islam) and what type of Muslim would be have any impact? Some argue "mainstream", "moderate" or Salafist.

Meantime time to relax and read more elsewhere on SWJ.

davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    As one Muslim iman asked - what do you replace the radical ideology with?
    Scientology.

Joking aside, the gap between diagnosis and prescriptions is frustrating. Take for example this brief: "Terrorism and Radicalization: What to do, What not to do," Presentation to U.S. State Dept. / UK House of Lords, Oct / Nov '07, by Scott Atran. I consider he and his research partner Marc Sageman to be some of the better researchers on the topic, great stuff in the brief -- but just not enough in the “what to do” section.

What about looking into drug rehabilitation processes? I've heard that junkies say heroin is “like kissing God”, similarly in books like Omar Nasiri's Inside The Jihad, you hear of the highs the militants get from the sense of kinship and sense of purpose they have. I imagine the volume is turned down lower in life in both cases when outside of either activities. You could where it becomes addictive....chasing the greater high.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 12-23-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    Interesting....

Today

War Breaks Out Between Hackers and Scientology -- There Can Be Only One

A loose confederation of online troublemakers who call themselves Anonymous have declared war on the Church of Scientology by flooding its servers with fake data requests, describing the attacks as punishment for the Church's alleged abuse of copyright laws and alleged brainwashing of its members.

Anonymous congregates on the net at various hangouts such as 711chan.org (NSFW) and partyvan.info and sundry IRC channels. The group usually amuses itself by stealing passwords to downloading sites and finding ways to harass online communities that its members disdain. They were last seen on THREAT LEVEL when a Los Angeles Fox News affiliate ran a story that hilariously implied the group's arsenal included exploding vans.

The attack on Scientology, which Anonymous has dubbed Project Chanology, started in recent days, set off by the Church's most recent attempt to censor the internet by forcing sites to remove a creepy Tom Cruise Scientology video. A wiki set up for the project directs Anonymous members to download and use denial of service software, make prank calls, host Scientology documents the Church considers proprietary, and fax endless loops of black pages to the Church's fax machines to waste ink.

More at the LINK
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

"His eyes flickered for a moment, and I knew I had him. There are guys like this all over the world: They drink, they smoke, they snort coke, they are complete infidels in the eyes of real Muslims. But at the first mention of the words umma or jihad, they suddenly reconnect with Islam. I think this is particularly true in Europe, where young men are so far from everything, from the Muslim land. Jihad is nothing for them, nothing real. But it is also everything."
    - Omar Nasiri, Inside the Jihad: My Life with Al Qaeda: A Spy's Story

Council Member

The man said to be one of the important recruiters for Islamist terrorism in the UK has been convicted today. Among those to have passed through where the four failed suicide bombers of July 21 2005

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7256859.stm
    "Nous somme d'une race qui ne sait pas mourir...'- Hemon

Council Member

PSRU, 8 Nov 08: British Islamism and the South Asian Connection
    So the question which analysts and academics are asking themselves is: what has caused some amongst the British Muslim community to turn and embrace this violent form of religiosity? This paper attempts to offer an explanation to this question and in doing so looks at both historical and sociological factors. But before we go any further and take a look at the situation in Britain, it is firstly important to have some understanding of South Asian Islam and Islamism since it is these contemporary expressions of the religion which have been directly transferred from South Asia to Britain......

Default Gaza conflict impacts extremism in the UK

Catching up and have just watched a topical BBC report on this theme, on last night's Newsnight, a "serious" news programme; footage starts just after opening: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ht_12_01_2009/

Some points I'd qualify, e.g. the use of the term "moderate" Muslims. It is quite clear that the perception that the UK is not doing enough about Israel's actions is having a marked impact on the Muslim community, where anger is growing.

Seems related to this thread as an update and MSK is cited.

davidbfpo