Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
First:I can honestly tell you I haven't been but I have been in units where the Commander was
Having started with 19D's my standard execuse was that we were conducting recon of lateral routes or dominant terrain ..... scouts are never lost.

Why would one want a ten digit grid -- the map is not that accurate and without the map the Grid is borderline useless. Given any one of a bunch of smart munitions, I can understand eight just 'cause the GPS is saying (hopefully) the same thing to everyone -- but ten???
Digital imagery, 1m or better, is your friend. 1:25000 and 1:50000 are not used for tactical ops in urban. Now standard down to squad level in BFT, and my guys carried digital images of all of their AO with them hardcopy printed from Falconview. We numbered the houses, so if they called it on the net we could use Falconview to figure the eight digit to the exact house they were getting fired at from. We would then ask what cardinal direction side of the house, and adjust it to a ten digit, required for GPS munition drops. The ten digit over the 8 digit is the difference of taking out the front or back side of the structure with the impact. The newer GPS munitions have smaller warheads to reduce collateral damage, and thus won't bring down a building. (unless you want it to)