Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
The issue of field living -- and I mean in an austere environment, not on an FOB in an air conditioned trailer -- is not pleasant to contemplate for anyone, sex immaterial. Add to that the blood, sights, sounds and smells of close combat and you have an environment not attuned to emotional sensitivity, male or female. My perception -- and that's all it is -- is that a higher number of females are not attuned to it.
Oddly enough I had noticed this with the female volunteers coming in after me. Most of them opted for EMS after finishing the obligatory basic instruction in firefighting--and couldn't understand why I was willing (if not exactly eager ) to get so dirty and sweaty and stay in the firefighting! At this point I wonder whether it has to do with cultural factors rather than factors supposedly inherent in males and females. The US has a high standard of living--how many people, male or female, actually do their own hunting, butchering, or even something as simple as taking care of those who are very messily ill on a routine basis? My dad and his brothers hunted regularly, I watched him dress his kill sometimes and while it's not something I do it's not something I find gross and beyond the pale. I suspect my kids would though, simply because they've never seen it. I'm not so sure it's got a whole lot to do with "emotional sensitivity" (sorry, hot button for me!) as it is familiarity BEFORE joining the service with a "close to the ground" style of living as a norm.

I think the infantry combat environment assists in creating a "you're on trial here" mentality in Troops; they apply it to every male that serves and the females get closer scrutiny due to a lot of cultural baggage. Possibly also to a lot of genetic and gender baggage.
Yah. Believe it. I have a lot of (sort of) funny stories about that....

Long way of saying what we all know; it's not a job for everyone -- and that, IMO, it's a lot more complex than a simple leadership issue...
No, these types of jobs are not. My worry is that the opportunity not be closed to those who can and will do the job simply on the basis of gender and expections thereof.

Maggie