Thread: COIN v. Conventional Capability Debate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    As Ron said t me over lunch the other day, "he does not completely agree with his previous position!" ...and to be fair, this is taking his quote out of context.

Actually, in terms of "victory" is believe this to be correct. In terms of "peace" it fails to be useful. Few, if any Insurgents have ever been defeated by a "military victory,". What seems to defeat them is "peace" - as in security and the denial of their ability to threaten it, so I think we may be in agreement.

Fair enough!

I need to come up with some more pithy epithets that people use in their signature line. But that's not easy for me: I'm often described as pith poor.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Gian P Gentile View Post
    What would happen if a couple of combat brigades in Iraq had to pick up, move in a certain direction and conduct a sustained land operation in the field without fixed bases for support for 3 months?
    Excellent point - so it's not hard to identify the areas of deficiency? What you seem to be talking about is Formation level manoeuvre. Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Fair enough!
    I need to come up with some more pithy epithets that people use in their signature line. But that's not easy for me: I'm often described as pith poor.
    ...and that Sir, is why you are both a scholar and a Gentleman.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition