Does the top know what the message is? When I use the term message, I mean the overall framework or theme of IO for a certain. You remember when the push was elections, or joining the IA, etc. What's the current theme? I don't think the top knows what the theme is, and thus we have stasis, outside of the run-of-the-mill products that say "hey, look at what we are doing for you."
That is an immportant question? Also - Do we understand when the message needs to change? Did we forsee it changing -like having an IO Decision Point? Did we put ourselve in a position to take advantage of the change? Did we have the criteria out there to recognize the change was coming (think CCIR). What should we do about it?

The issue of the surge or escalation is going to draw significant mental energy along with it, and other warfighting functions suffer
You are absoutley right. Nothing is free. The question is is it worth it? And if it is, what suffers the most? Doing things on the cheap will ammount to not really doing it. As for value, Slapout's remarks are a good start:

Images,audio,messages can be greater than the sword (updated version of the quote,don't remember who said it). This is why in many societies outside the US lying is perfectly moral if you are using it to protect you or your families interest, the concept of objective truth for all doesn't play that well. And Americans are naive alot of times in dealing with this because we think everybody wants to get along and play well in the sandbox together. It often doesn't work that way and the US needs to learn how to play the game better and understand war takes place across many mediums.
Shek,

Hey guys, I don't think this blog is getting at your vision Rob, but I think it illustrates the potential of some of the media that could be used. For example, less on the Marine sniper and mortar teams, more paintings like the Red Cross/Red Crescent with an accompanying message.
Good link - Marct must be hanging out watching Canadian football this weekend (does that mean Hockey ?), but his symbology line of thought is important

I think we're getting there. I like Slapout's line about the sword. Words and symbols (words can be symbols or invoke them). So its a question of if you ha the right guy doing the right job with the right tools is he: worth 1 rifleman, worth a FO, worth a crewman? What do you get in return? What on today's and tmorrow's battlefield am I likely to need more? What skill set (if any) could be mitigated by technology - example - will Networked Fires with NLOS-LS (rockets in a box) - mean I may not need platoon FOs? What is to be gained and why??