MRAP - just another word for a heavy, truck-shaped APC? Or re-inventing motorized infantry with super-heavy trucks instead of ACMATs?

I still fail to understand the fascination with MRAPs, especially since most of them are a far cry from the original - and in their ops environ - valid idea. When they were invented by the Rhodesians (mines, embargo), they were infantry taxis with widely seperated wheels, mine bottom, protection against rifle bullets and provided an elevated shooter platform.

But the latest MRAPs try to become APCs plus IFVs plus a dash of CFV - all in one vehicle. And that is just wrong. MRAPs are funny shaped, fashionable APC, taxis for light infantry, pax hauler. To actually fight, the infantry gets out. They are not supposed to be in there when the shooting starts. In infested territory they should get out and clean, not ignore and safely drive by. And besides the fact, that MRAPs can't really go offroad, they also can't swim. And with the proliferation of EFP know-how the MRAP will face a threat it can't defuse.

Leaves the medium (4x4) MRAP the role as urban riot control vehicle (people with too much money can glue some reactive armor onto them). And for the heavy (6x6) MRAP the niche as engineering and mine clearing vehicles.
The propsed heavy German MRAPs (GFF4) are just nonsense. For transport duties something like a SISU or MAN SX with a protected cabin is more suited. Convoy protection by APCs or JLTVs.

Basically there is no reason why APCs shouldn't get more protection, learning from MRAPs, but keeping the good parts of the APC concept. The proposed Marine MPC already goes that way.

On the JLTV: Good as liaison and scout cars, esp when not heavier than e.g. the MOWAG Eagle IV. Here to stay, something I have a hard time seeing the MRAP.