Thread: And Libya goes on...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The spreading democratic movement

Ok I am not a democracy zealot but hear this out. The best option (in my opinion) in Libiya is to, with UN and NATO backing, support a local solution to bring about a rapid end to the violence. The rebels may not want overt Western outside assistance but could they say the same for overt Eygptian assitance? Fellow democrats coming to the aid of neighbors desiring freedom and democracy, what could be better. A brigade of armor, some SF, naval and air assets and Eygpt comes in as the cavalry to the rescue of beleaguered democracy craving patriots. With UN and NATO backing, old MQ would be crushed quickly. While some would say Eygpt's military has its hands full with protecting its own house I'd argue this would be the 'right' thing to do and would solidify the Eygptians as true democrats and the Eygptian Military as the protectors of the people. -T

Quote Originally Posted by TROUFION View Post
    Ok I am not a democracy zealot but hear this out. The best option (in my opinion) in Libiya is to, with UN and NATO backing, support a local solution to bring about a rapid end to the violence.
    Not a bad idea but arranged peace, especially under UN supervision are seeds for later conflict (cf Ivory Coast, Sudan...).
    I believe there is a need for a bigger stand up from the democracies. Also, what ever are the relations between insurgents and AQ, the more we leave them alone, the more they will turn to alternative solutions.
    A back up would be certainly interpreted as a come back to ingerence and colonialism by G but who does really care?
    We are messing around everytime we do nothing and sending the wrong signal. If we want to "promote peace and a world based on dialog" then we have to back up people who do stand up against their oppressor. Otherwise, we just say: freedom is just for those who obei to us.
    In the actual climat in Africa (Cause Libya is an African country) there is strong need to draw a line.
    The question is who to interviene not should I stay or should I go.

With UN and NATO backing, old MQ would be crushed quickly. While some would say Eygpt's military has its hands full with protecting its own house I'd argue this would be the 'right' thing to do and would solidify the Eygptians as true democrats and the Eygptian Military as the protectors of the people.
    Looks like a starting point to me.