Hi Guys,

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
By contrast, a software package offers the attraction of something that can be implemented in many places at the same time, therefore providing standardized training in volume. The problem is what you then lose in the process (the flexibility and inventiveness of a human moderator, and the danger of building unseen assumptions into the software that players can't challenge, and may even not be aware of.)
Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
I understand that completely. Seen many lame DMs in my day, but also fallen victim to many lame software packages with good graphics. That's why I think the best compromise might be a software package (similar to the MUSH/MUD style) that allows a good core of skilled moderators to reach a large number of trainees. That way you can tweek the mechanics but still keep the human core and variable in place that's really needed (IMO) for this stuff to be of lasting value.
I just finished looking over a rather good example of what Steve calls a "lame software package with good graphics" that was supposed to be used as a training package (sorry Nichols ). Yes, they are certainly out there as are really bad DMs out there in Military training exercises (I'm sure GEN Van Ripper could point to some...).

Having said that, from a "training perspective" (and you guys don't know how much I HATE using that phrase!), you can (re)train people, but you can't (re)train and environment (modify it, yes). So, to my mind, it makes the most sense to create as open, realistic and flexible environment for training that will actually show up any problems with humans. This is why I like the idea of a WoW or Second Life type of environment with real people "DMs" and avatars playing the support cast.

Of course, the quality of your DMs has to be really good, and the criteria for "good" in this case is a perception / skill set that isn't selected for in many training organizations (actually, it's often selected against in these types of organizations!). Within the US military, I suspect that some of your best DM candidates would come from special forces and the Marines. Outside of the military, look for smart ass 12-20 year olds who are making a name for themselves in gaming circles (BTW, I remember going to Origins in 1982 and watch a 12 year old beat the snot out of an Armour CPT in a Microarmor game). If you can find any of them (okay, "us", and now I'm showing my age....), see if you can recruit any of the first generation of DMs from the early 1970's.