Thread: Before Abbottabad: hunting AQ leaders (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ted,

Great find. I just wonder how much money it cost for that secret Sandia report. Aside from using OBL's name and pic, I could have written the conclusions in 1989-1990 when I was on terrorism watch.

Best

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Ted,

Great find. I just wonder how much money it cost for that secret Sandia report. Aside from using OBL's name and pic, I could have written the conclusions in 1989-1990 when I was on terrorism watch.

Best

Tom
    My thoughts almost exactly (except I think I could have written the conclusion as part of the research paper I had to submit to get out of MI Officer Basic Course)--I did the Homer Simpson headslap when I read the title of the post. Particularly instructive was the declassified report from the Embassy in Pakistan. But then since when has anyone in the Washington power elite deigned to trust the insights of those on the ground close to the action?
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris

Default What Tom and wm said.

I also wonder how much said Sandia Report cost...

Lessee. Ineffective swat a Yellow Jacket makes him angry and draws allies. Novel discovery, that.

Default Additionally ...

I agree with Tom's conclusions. But additionally, once again it goes to show that the high value individual / high value target program can only have a finite and limited success, and I would argue that too much emphasis has been placed on sending SF operators after specific individuals. A very costly, very expensive, very consuming strategy that has yielded only marginal benefits.

There are no buttons to push, no magic incantations to utter. COIN takes a commitment of resources, including troops to build the security necessary to win the population and weed out the insurgents.

Almost every MSM report I see now on "Taliban commander killed in [such-and-such] province ...," I ignore and close within tenths of a second without so much as reading it. These reports don't matter.