Thanks, everyone. I appreciate both the suggestions as well as the comparisons with other COIN case studies and current ops.

Dayuhan, I'd be keen for any resources on the main players in Filipino politics (all stripes) in the 1930s, if you could suggest them. I've not the memoirs of Taruc, but did any member of the Lava family write a memoir or autobiography?

Also, do any of you have recommendation on monographs regarding the COIN as a subject taught/encouraged between 1954-1965? I've got most of Bohannan's lectures from the Washington cocktail circuit, and from the Rand Symposium on COIN, but I'm less schooled on what influence, if any, the Huk campaign had on educators in this period (though Andrew Birtle has given me some very good leads, and his own work on COIN doctrine is a great place to start).

Dayuhan: yes, I'd concur that the lessons of the Philippines are perhaps viewed as valuable for both similarities and differences with other COIN operations, as opposed to analogues (the lack of a external sponsor, despite limited attempts to secure Chinese aid, comes to mind: though I have found some evidence to suggest this wasn't as limited as most scholars have argued). But in terms of understanding the impact of the "victory" over the Huk in say, 1954, it was certainly viewed by many in Manila and Washington as a success after eight or nine years of conflict. I'm as much interested in this perception of victory in the short term as to its verity in the long. Both are critical to my work.

Again, Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.