View Poll Results: Are all societies and cultures morally equal?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

4 11.43%
  • No.

31 88.57%

Thread: Are all societies and cultures morally equal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Since there's not even agreement on the origin, scope, nature, and purpose of morality, how can there be any answer? Even the idea that morality is or ought to be life-centered is done within a social context insofar that life and its various caveats are subject to varying ideas. Where do we even begin measuring the morality of another person, society, and their actions? In the 'strategic view' of a globalizing humanity, is religion even relevant or legitimate in defining morality? The problem IMO is not whether cultures are morally equal or not, but what obligations the answers may compel upon people. If cultures are morally equal, then what right does my country have in intervening (politically, legally, militarily, etc) in the social affairs (racism, genocide, etc) of another state?
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Default I personally do not consider anything

42 proof or even 42% / 84 proof fit to drink but whatever you're comfortable with...

Default None but that has never deterred us.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    ...then what right does my country have in intervening (politically, legally, militarily, etc) in the social affairs (racism, genocide, etc) of another state?
    It's all about politics -- and you cannot get much further away from morality than that.

Council Member

Default I may or may not have known that but you guys like

42 proof stuff. You can't wiggle out. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Council Member

Default Now look what you've done

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    42 proof stuff. You can't wiggle out. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
    Instead of the ads for beautiful Afghan girls I usually get at this site, this pops up this morning:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, come on, the chicks in those ads are the same no matter what country you visit from. That site just recycles pics of American chicks and, based on your IP, claims they're from Kandahar or Mosul or wherever.

Um, not that I know or anything.

Anyway, back on the topic of moral equality: I think we need to address the question of moral relativism before we can answer whether or not societies are morally equal.
    Last edited by Starbuck; 07-27-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: ..

Council Member

Haiku?

Spring is bourbon time
    Old Vets remember women had
    and watch melting snow