Thread: Why India decided to buy Javelin?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    I would have thought these weapons would be found in the Anti-Tank Platoon in the Support Company and detached wherever as required by the commanders anti-tank plan?
    That is correct.

I was basing my comments on:

There were some reports about Javelin being unable to lock on simple bunkers because the IR signature of the bunker was the same as that of the ground.
    Bunker busting with Anti Tank type of weapons is for the mountains. Hence, sections; as that is possibly the only formation that can find deployment space in an attack, at a pinch.

Long range weapons generally are at a disadvantage for pin point targets in the mountains we have over here since there are crest and folds and no clear line of sight is available unless closed in.

In armour country, one would not use Anti Tank weapons for bunker busting since there will be other weapons to do so.
    Last edited by Ray; 06-13-2011 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    That is correct.
    In armour country, one would not use Anti Tank weapons for bunker busting since there will be other weapons to do so.
    Well, I recently read an article on urban combat (it's not mountains, I know) where anti tank weapons are used against combattants in houses or behind build cover (walls). But we are talking about houses and bricks or concrete walls not bunkers.

ATGMs (especially old ones) have taken over the role of former infantry guns.
    They are nevertheless more an improvisation in bunker busting, just as most WW2 Panzerfaust munitions (millions were produced) were used as bigger hand grenades and were not fired at tanks.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    Well, I recently read an article on urban combat (it's not mountains, I know) where anti tank weapons are used against combattants in houses or behind build cover (walls). But we are talking about houses and bricks or concrete walls not bunkers.
    That is possible in urban warfare.

In Counter Insurgency in urban environment, use of Anti Tank weapons is not advisable, as in India, because of the collateral damage that might occur because the houses are very closely located.