Thread: Crimes, War Crimes and the War on Terror

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Trial and Punishment of JJackson, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackson View Post
    If some AQ were moving through the area and thought my house was a good place for an ambush and the US troops found me cowering under my bed - assuming they did not shoot me on the spot - I would presumably spend the next decade trying to convince some GITMO guard I had not planned 9/11.
    I’ll take a crack at this one. If grabbed as a suspected terrorist by US troops, I don’t know who decides you go to Gitmo. Or how it is decided. But, it seems possible, if whoever thinks you belong there has the power to make it happen. The accusation or suspicion or terrorism, itself, provides sufficient justification for you to be held there.

Once you get your orange jumpsuit, you’ll have plenty of time to ruminate. Martin Luther King, Henry David Thoreau, and Adolf Hitler all decided to write about their circumstances while behind bars. I don’t know if you’d be allowed that privilege, or not. I haven’t noticed any jailhouse manifestos from Gitmo in my local bookstore, yet.

Tacitus' opinions don't carry much weight, of course. Of more importance on this issue, let's hear what Senators Obama and McCain think about this.
    http://www.cfr.org/publication/14751...008%2Ftrackers
    Both of these gentlemen have several times said they plan to shut this thing down, Obama suggesting trying the accused in a U.S. criminal court or by a military court-martial. I think McCain has suggested just moving this thing to Fort Leavenworth, and using what is already in place there.

Since your case is unlikely to be resolved before Inauguration Day (January 20, 2009), there’s a fair chance you’ll have your day in court somewhere else.

I wouldn't take any false comfort from that, though. They probably wouldn't have grabbed you for nothing, and might could get you on a charge of spying for terrorists, if not being one, yourself. The last British spy that I remember us dealing with was Major John Andre. He was denied a soldier’s death by firing squad, and instead hung. And he wasn’t even Al Qaeda.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Andr%C3%A9
    Last edited by Tacitus; 06-06-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: punctuation error
    No signature required, my handshake is good enough.