Thread: Economic Warfare

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re:

Tonight's evening news had an interesting story on how Canadians are sweeping down into Washington to take advantage of our sliding dollar and the State Patrol is expecting huge traffic issues due to the increases from them during the upcoming Christmas Shopping...(or should I say "Holiday Shopping?")...

I must say these are interesting times to be around. I'm not a FOREX or arbitrage guy but I think China has so much tied up in our dollar that any moves against it would cause them devasting losses. It appears to be a bit of a catch-22 since they hold so much of our debt. If we do get into it with them I am more concerned with their Information Warfare capabilities in the cyber/SCADA realms. That is my cents worth....
    Last edited by bismark17; 11-10-2007 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Grammar.....

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by bismark17 View Post
    Tonight's evening news had an interesting story on how Canadians are sweeping down into Washington to take advantage of our sliding dollar and the State Patrol is expecting huge traffic issues due to the increases from them during the upcoming Christmas Shopping...(or should I say "Holiday Shopping?")...

I must say these are interesting times to be around. I'm not a FOREX or arbitrage guy but I think China has so much tied up in our dollar that any moves against it would cause them devasting losses. It appears to be a bit of a catch-22 since they hold so much of our debt. If we do get into it with them I am more concerned with their Information Warfare capabilities in the cyber/SCADA realms. That is my cents worth....
    Agreed bismark. China in many ways is so dependent upon US economic growth and stability that disrupting the US economy is like cutting off one (at least) of their own limbs. Pretty soon, US pressure on China to allow the Yuan to reach its true value may be quite unnecessary. China has no interest in, and a lot to lose from, continued US dollar devaluation.

For that matter Iran can have little impact through straight economic means upon the US. Only blocking the flow of oil (direct military means) could seriously affect the US economy. And Iran has no economic interest (to say the least) in doing that.

Them Canajuns, though, I tell ya', I'd be keepin' a close eye on them. They think they can just blend in and not be spotted while they implement their nefarious schemes of economic subversion of the US...well, I say take out all the Molson and Labatt breweries, and proceed to drown them in Miller and Bud - I drink Guinness by the way, so I should still be okay.
    Last edited by Norfolk; 11-10-2007 at 04:12 AM.