Thread: Best Afghanistan Documentaries?

Default Best Afghanistan Documentaries?

All,

Am putting together a training/LPD program for our soldiers, and am looking for an introductory documentary program (1-2 hours) on Afghanistan that captures the background of the conflict and the major issues as a gateway for a general audience unfamiliar with the conflict.

I watched National Geographic's "Inside the Taliban" and thought it was pretty good (but noted numerous over-generalizations and flaws) - any better suggestions?
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Council Member

Frontline has done some pretty good documentaries IMO.

Here's one on the new Taliban.

Korengal and Afghan policy (2008)

A reporter "embeds" with the Taliban

Here's a list of all their programs. There are more on Afghanistan, but not sure how good the ones are prior to 2008 or so.
    Supporting "time-limited, scope limited military actions" for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Frontline has done some pretty good documentaries IMO.

Here's one on the new Taliban.

Korengal and Afghan policy (2008)

A reporter "embeds" with the Taliban

Here's a list of all their programs. There are more on Afghanistan, but not sure how good the ones are prior to 2008 or so.

Thanks. I've seen those three save the first - the probelm is, save to some extent "Obama's war", is that they don't provide a comprehensive intro to Afghanistan or a summary of the last 30 years and how they shape the current conflict. I'm kind of looking for a video version of Ahmed Rahshid's Taliban, with a bit of post-2001 thrown in. The NatGeo video above seems to be the best fit so far.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    Thanks. I've seen those three save the first - the probelm is, save to some extent "Obama's war", is that they don't provide a comprehensive intro to Afghanistan or a summary of the last 30 years and how they shape the current conflict. I'm kind of looking for a video version of Ahmed Rahshid's Taliban, with a bit of post-2001 thrown in. The NatGeo video above seems to be the best fit so far.
    There was a History Channel documentary from the Wings series regarding the Hind helicopter that actually went pretty in-depth into the Soviet operations against the Mujahedin overall. I think most if not all of it is available on YouTube. Let me get you some links.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

"The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Council Member
    Supporting "time-limited, scope limited military actions" for 20 years.