Thread: Inspiration needed - SWJ town square scene

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Interesting. Comes back to the question of "what is a small war"?

Grenada, the Falkland Island campaign were both small wars, but very conventional.

Iraq and Afghanistan both large wars, but with a mix of activities. As was WWII and WWI for that matter (uh oh, getting into the equally messy reality that Asymmetric Warfare is nothing new either.}

You could have scenes of Armor and Artillery units rolling up guideons and disbanding; while officers from the same units then migrate to Leavenworth to write manuals on Counterinsurgency and Irregular Warfare, et al.

I guess as good of definition as any is that a small war is one where the populace at home has no real stake as to if the conflict is won or lost, and goes on about its life with business as usual before, during and after; win, lose or draw. Sadly, we can all draw dozens of images of how to picture that.

(and after writing this, realize that once again I have determined that the critical perception is that of the affected populace. "size" is determined by how important the populace thinks the war is, not by number of troops engaged, area covered, casualties incurred, tactics employed, etc, though all contribute to that perception.)

Next post will be from back in Kabul, packing up the computer and getting ready to head out.
    Last edited by Bob's World; 06-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Good stuff. Thanks, all. Keep 'em coming!

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    Has George Michael left 'Wham' and joined the IDF?
    It's now OK to be gay in the IDF - actually has been for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Interesting. Comes back to the question of "what is a small war"?
    Small Wars is IMO, a very useful term. - as used in the 1906 covering letter to the Imperial General Staff, by C.E. Callwell!
    Small war is warfare against irregulars/rebels.
    The Falklands was in no way a Small War. May have been over some small Islands, but it was definitely all arms formation combat operations between regular armies.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    The Falklands was in no way a Small War. May have been over some small Islands, but it was definitely all arms formation combat operations between regular armies.
    There weren't enough tanks/AFV present to really call it "all arms".
    The UK had iirc a half dozen CVR(T) and the Argentinians had iirc a similar number French-made 4x4 armoured cars that were iirc unable to move up the icy hills during battle.

Default How about this?

I'm kind of partial to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

The scotch and the Oreos are proven commodities, will be happy to join you for both.

As to the book, I'm not so sure. I'm mentally composing a piece tentatively titled: "Zombie COIN - Why FM 3-24 has no Soul"

("Soul" being an understanding of insurgency itself. Ok, couldn't help myself, still sitting at the airport...)
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Default This Guy Was Inspirational

Don't know how to put this on a T-Shirt but it is inspirational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVrpiG7haE

How about the "I give a #### about your chai!" Guy:
    http://www.cnas.org/blogs/abumuqawam...t-mission.html
    To me he sums up the whole deal.

The scotch and the Oreos are proven commodities, will be happy to join you for both.
    Scotch, yes; Oreos, no. I have to admit, I shudder at the juxtaposition !

As to the book, I'm not so sure. I'm mentally composing a piece tentatively titled: "Zombie COIN - Why FM 3-24 has no Soul"

("Soul" being an understanding of insurgency itself. Ok, couldn't help myself, still sitting at the airport...)
    Oh, Gods..... GET IT WRITTEN NOW!!!!!!!!! Seriously, Bob, I've already got one of your papers on the required reading list, but I want that!!!!!

Personally, I'd take an image of a trooper, put a media guys on his back, an NGO person on their back, and a politician on top of them and sub-title it "The modern, agile soldier". Then again, I've been told I have a low sense of humour... .
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Oh, Gods..... GET IT WRITTEN NOW!!!!!!!!! Seriously, Bob, I've already got one of your papers on the required reading list, but I want that!!!!!
    Ditto, sir. Why do you think we take the time to critique you? Consider it free editing and peer review.

Preach it Brother Bob. Preach! Pastor done told me that I need some saving on my soul .

I guess as good of definition as any is that a small war is one where the populace at home has no real stake as to if the conflict is won or lost, and goes on about its life with business as usual before, during and after; win, lose or draw. Sadly, we can all draw dozens of images of how to picture that.
    Good one - the image for "small wars" could be a soldier fighting in a ditch somewhere with the image of the nation behind him, watching TV or shopping at the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
    Good one - the image for "small wars" could be a soldier fighting in a ditch somewhere with the image of the nation behind him, watching TV or shopping at the mall.
    This reminds me a picture I saw few month ago. It was taken in a marines barraks in A-stan. You could se a guy preparing to go for patrol and a board. On the board it was written: the marines are at war while the nation is shopping at the mall...

Default SAS Secret War

I think out of all those people I mentioned, MG (RET) Tony Jeapes is the only one still alive besides Dr Hosmer. He did write a excellent book SAS Secret War about his time in Oman, I was lucky enough to correspond with him via email a very generous and insightful man.

Kelly