Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Security

Mass. company making diesel with sun, water, CO2

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A Massachusetts biotech company is claiming it can produce renewable diesel fuel using the same ingredients that make grass grow.

Joule Unlimited in Cambridge says it has invented a genetically-engineered cyanobacterium that simply secretes the diesel — or ethanol — at remarkable rates.

The organisms live in water and take in sunlight and carbon dioxide. They then produce and directly secrete ethanol or hydrocarbons — the basis of various fuels, such as diesel — as a byproduct of photosynthesis.

Other methods for making fuel from solar energy use "biomass," such as corn or algae. Joule says its technology is far less expensive.

Joule claims its work can change the world, but skeptics say the company may have trouble efficiently collecting the fuel they produce and also must demonstrate their technology on a broad scale
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110227/...Njb21wYW55bQ--
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

The science is way above my head but what I thinkI am looking for is a chemical process that imitates the Chlorophyll process in plants. Again going back to the 70's(when I first heard of it) Buckminster Fuller was talking about something like this as the only known process that creates more output than input.

The U.S. Armed Forces are heavily burdened by the financial and tactical costs of transporting fuel to the battlefield. This July, in an effort to address the problem, the United States Marine Corps will deploy a pair of diesel generators coupled with powerful batteries to frontline troops in Afghanistan. The hybrid power systems should cut by 50 to 70 percent the amount of fuel needed to generate electricity, according to the manufacturer, Earl Energy of Portsmouth, Virginia.

The generators that U.S. military camps currently use operate inefficiently because they need to handle ocassional peaks in demand. "You may have a 10-kilowatt generator that at any time is only producing 1.5 kilowatts of power to satisfy its load," says Doug Moorehead, president of Earl Energy. "So you are wasting 8.5 kilowatts of power that you aren't storing for later use," he says.
    http://www.techreview.com/energy/35080/?p1=MstRcnt&a=f

Council Member

Default Hybrid power systems for military

Thanks for that, Adam

I had not seen that, and I've passed your link on to a couple of Defence energy personnel here in Canada.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    Mass. company making diesel with sun, water, CO2
    These aquatic processes always strike me as potentially viable industries for countries like Bangladesh or Cambodia, with abundant wetlands and sunshine. Lots of unknowns on the practical aspects, of course. I always wonder about output per area/year, and as with ethanol, the potential for food and energy production competing for land area.

Council Member

Default IMF on oil scarcity

Steve,
    re food & fuel in southeast Asia, this NYT article enlightened me on the growing use of cassava for fuel, which I was not aware of:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/sc...er=rss&emc=rss

On a different issue, I am puzzled by Thursday's IMF statement, "Oil Scarcity, Growth and Global Imbalances" (2 pgs):
    http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/...1/pdf/3sum.pdf

These "Press Points for Chapter 3" refer to the IMF's World Economic Outlook which is due to be released on Monday, according to this article:
    http://www.liveoilprices.co.uk/oil/o...ers-party.html

This brief video reiterates the main points:
    https://www.imf.org/external/mmedia/...d=888827744001

This Reuters article also provides a summary:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...12329720110407

Question: on p. 2 of the Press Points, Helbling states, "A persistent adverse oil supply shock would imply [may cause?] a surge in global capital flows from oil exporters to importers [sic] and a widening of current account imbalances."
    Surely he means that capital will flow from importers (who will be paying very high prices) to exporters. What am I missing here? (that oil exporters will have surplus cash to loan to importers?)

Council Member

Default correction re IMF

I have just obtained the PDF of Chapter 3, in which the sentence reads:
    "... the wealth transfer from oil importers to exporters would increase
    capital flows and widen current account imbalances."

As suspected, the Press Points has the words reversed, hence the confusion.

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/.../01/pdf/c3.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
    Question: on p. 2 of the Press Points, Helbling states, "A persistent adverse oil supply shock would imply [may cause?] a surge in global capital flows from oil exporters to importers [sic] and a widening of current account imbalances."
    Surely he means that capital will flow from importers (who will be paying very high prices) to exporters. What am I missing here? (that oil exporters will have surplus cash to loan to importers?)
    These days, part of that money flows into sovereign wealth funds (SWF), which are like state-owned hedge funds. SWFs seek to maximize returns as opposed to foreign exchange reserves held by central banks that seek to stabilize currencies.

Q. But wait a minute, aren’t hedge funds pumping money into oil futures, which in-turn are inflating the price of oil?
    A. Yes, they are.

Q. And SWFs are like a hedge fund?
    A. Correct.

Q. And doesn’t the money that these SWFs invest derive from high oil prices?
    A. Why yes, yes they do.

Q. So doesn’t it stand to reason, to suspect that SWFs are by buying up all these paper barrels to inflate oil prices?
    A. You would be silly not to.

Q. That is a reinforcing feedback loop, right?
    A. It most certainly is.

Q. So couldn’t this be like…you know economic warfare or something?
    A. That’s very interesting; I would say it is worth looking into.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

The role of hedge funds and speculators in sustaining high oil prices is very much overrated. They can drive a spike higher but they can't sustain a plateau: speculators can't produce actual demand and they can't profit until they sell their position, which means price support doesn't last. When speculators see upside pressure on oil prices they will jump in and try to make some short-run profit, but they don't stay and when they underlying causes of the upside pressure resolve they will bail.

Over the long term high oil prices are driven by rising demand, limited supply, and political instability in source countries, not speculation. In any event high oil prices are not contrary to US/Western interests at this point. There's pain, but without that pain we will never get serious about developing alternatives and reducing consumption.

The Gulf SWFs in particular are pretty conservative and very diversified in their investments, and you're more likely to see them buying US and European real estate at this point than oil futures.

I see no evidence of "economic warfare". Economic mess, yes, but that's always with us, actual or incipient. Calling it "warfare" just makes it easier to blame someone else and absolve ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    The role of hedge funds and speculators in sustaining high oil prices is very much overrated.
    According to whom?

They can drive a spike higher but they can't sustain a plateau: speculators can't produce actual demand and they can't profit until they sell their position, which means price support doesn't last.
    Profits can be made through index speculation and OTC swaps. They wouldn’t want to sustain a price plateau; they would want to drive volatility, create bubbles. It’s not investing, it’s trading for maximum returns – the money is made from the price swings.

When speculators see upside pressure on oil prices they will jump in and try to make some short-run profit, but they don't stay and when they underlying causes of the upside pressure resolve they will bail.
    Which is all the better if the country’s national-oil-company has the ability to influence supply pressures; its SWF can front-run the speculative herd and fleece western institutional investors.

In any event high oil prices are not contrary to US/Western interests at this point.
    Maybe, for one thing it seriously screws with the Chinese. Bill Casey and the Saudi’s did the opposite to the Soviets in the 1980’s. The role low oil prices played in the collapse of the USSR is overlooked.

The Gulf SWFs in particular are pretty conservative and very diversified in their investments, and you're more likely to see them buying US and European real estate at this point than oil futures.
    How exactly would you know this? They don’t have to reveal their activities, and it is easy enough to obscure them anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    How exactly would you know this? They don’t have to reveal their activities, and it is easy enough to obscure them anyhow.
    Money isn't invisible, and it can be followed.... that's why we have so many people shouting "follow the money". What most don't realize is that at any given point there's a lot of money going to a lot of places, and most of those shouting "follow the money" only follow the part that's going in a direction that supports their pre-ordained conclusion.

The entire edifice that you're presenting rests on the observation that SWFs bear a vestigial resemblance to hedge funds - they both manage large sums of money, which is about as far as the resemblance goes. And from this you assume the rest, up to economic warfare. Have you any actual evidence to support that chain of assumption?

Council Member

Default Revolution in Energy Production

Last week I participated on an ASPO roundtable of ASPO Switzerland. Main topic was the project of the Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI), which developed a technology with which they can produce fuel from water, carbon dioxide and sunlight. The technology seems promising and the perspective of commercializing it during the next ten years made it a point of attraction for the media.

Unfortunately, I left the room a bit confused and with a lot more questions than answers. The most disturbing point for me was, that the discussion following the presentation focused more on the technological feasibility of the project than on the political realities. I was utterly shocked how even some representants of academia are convinced that a radical change in energy production can be realized within short time. From their perspective the petroleum and nuclear industries are obstructing every attempt to promote alternative energies for the reason of their own profit. Although there is some truth in this argument I think that the phantasies of some of the proponents of alternative energies are at least as far fetched as their charges against the petroleum and nuclear industry. Or what do you think about Switzerland plastered with solar panels and mountains full with windmills?

I think these people are more propagating a radical change in energy production rather than in energy consumption which makes them even more dangerous in my eyes because they are selling nothing more than an utopia rather than sollutions…

By the way, the current issue of the Scientific American contains an article about 7 technoologies that might revolutionize energy production (7 Radical Energy Solutions, The Scientific American, May 2011, pp38 – 45)

And I found a description of the project by the project director Prof. Steinfeld in English: http://www.peakoil.ch/assets/images/.../steinfeld.pdf

As well as the aricle from Advances in Science and Technology: http://www.peakoil.ch/assets/images/...fuels_2010.pdf
    Last edited by Polarbear; 05-03-2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to add two links

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I think that the phantasies of some of the proponents of alternative energies are at least as far fetched as their charges against the petroleum and nuclear industry.
    With this I agree completely. If the energy industry sees a commercially viable alternative technology, the natural profit-driven impulse would not be to suppress it, but to acquire it, develop it, and market it.

Sellafield nuclear site terror arrests made

See
    http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...06&postcount=6

Council Member

Default German military report on Peak Oil

Council Member

I had not realized that they released an extended version of the report. Thanks for the hint Rick!

regards PB

Council Member

Default Bundeswehr report

Hi, PB

I wouldn't call it extended version: the reason it's 125 pgs (vs previous 99) is primarily due to increased font size, though there were many changes in the text.
    They key point (and one which I was thrilled at) is that BW top brass did not water down the central messages. They did qualify the verbs here & there ("will" becomes "could" etc, but that is simply prudent writing).
    Their report is bold in every respect and media need to get on it, so that public & elected reps will be aware.
    Thanks for your interest...
    - Rick

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by flagg View Post
    Here's a snippet from Eric Janszen over at the iTulip.com forum:
    Has anyone ever followed Eric Janszen over at iTulip.com forum?

I'm not trying to piss in his pocket, nor spam this forum.....but the guy has been freakishly accurate(easily verifiable) on pretty much all of the big picture financial/economic/energy stuff since circa 1998.

His online rep includes:

*calling dot com crash
    *buying gold at the bottom
    *buying silver at the bottom
    *calling the recent silver crash days before it happened(he's not a trader..it was a VERY infrequent/rare portfolio shift for him)
    *calling the RE crash
    *calling for a China crash/hit within the next 24 months...likely 12
    *calling serious Cheap Peak Oil in the next few years potentially leading to broader conflict
    *provided some very solid Int on Japan's nuclear crisis well before it became generally available/open source.

And Eric Janszen has become noticeably darker in his most recent posts due to a belief that a major conflict over debt/energy in Asia sometime during the rest of this decade is shifting from possibility to likely.

The community over there has some SERIOUS SME strengths in finance/economics/energy.....but I firmly believe that Eric and the forum over there seem noticeably lacking in the geopolitical security side of the house.....which is where the strength resides here.

I would strongly encourage members here to have a look over there....I can't fault their economic/finance/energy analysis.....if matched with the geopolitical/security SME strengths here, or cross-pollinating in some way, it could be a pretty powerful combination.

I just wanted to chuck that out there......

Personally, it feels like a 21st century version of circa-1935.

Just my 0.02c

flagg, if you get a chance watch this program. It is on HBO tonight so check your local listings, if not here is a link to the YouTube version.

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...635#post122635

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    flagg, if you get a chance watch this program. It is on HBO tonight so check your local listings, if not here is a link to the YouTube version.

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...635#post122635
    Cheers!