Thread: Infantry Unit Tactics, Tasks, Weapons, and Organization

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    Of course its easy for me to suggest--given that it just takes me a ten second post to throw out the challenge--but it would be very useful (and fun) to pull together all of the discussions on platoon/fireteam organization, platoon weapons, and now battalion weapons into a proposed battalion TO&E (hint, hint, Norfolk).

A couple of modest suggestions for anyone who tries it:

1) Specify not only whether its a light/foot or heavy/mech battalion, but also whose battalion it is. If it is for a non-US force (and I'm including here Canada, Australia, parts of Europe) it may not need to be configured to handle high intensity conflict, but rather a spectrum that runs from fairly permissive (post-Dayton Bosnia) PKOs to Somalia-type humanitarian intervention to Afghanistan-type stabilization missions.

2) Specify the IFV (MICV, APC, whatever). It clearly makes some difference if you're fielding 4 mounted ATGM tubes or zero at platoon level, etc.

3) OK, this is the evil political scientist in me. The quipment has to exist now. Try to make some reasonable assumptions about procurement ...otherwise you'll all want Type III phasers.
    Sah! [Norfolk utters in his best Parade-Square Drill Voice]

I will get right on it, Sah!

PS: Does it hurt when you get zapped by a Type III Phaser, or is it over real quick?
    Last edited by Norfolk; 12-30-2007 at 11:45 PM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    Sah! [Norfolk utters in his best Parade-Square Drill Voice]

I will get right on it, Sah!
    Sir? My parents were married, dammit