Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
Stan,

I have lived in Abuja. One doesn't normally hear gunfire in the vicinity of the US embassy. Also remember that the US embassy is in the same area as the bombed UN headquarters.
Jaja, at nearly a mile away building to building, I don't know if I could say the embassy is in the same area as the UN building. But, we won't quibble over distances

Not sure how much stock you have in The Daily Trust, but this recent article sounds a little easier to swallow:

There was panic at the diplomatic zone in Abuja yesterday after sounds were heard which U.S. embassy officials said were of gunshots fired near the well-guarded mission.

But the police said there were no gunshots and witnesses said the sounds were of fireworks set off by teenagers at an undeveloped plot near the American embassy.
Then there's this half-baked Press Release from the embassy (I'm embarrassed to even be an American reading this garbage - waste of paper IMO):

But, then, a happy and relatively speaking funny ending as quoted:

A petty trader at the location said in pidgin English, “I hear noise and see smoke; people dey run and I think say na knock out and people say na gun shot, naim I pick my egg roll and Kunu and run too.”