Thread: Putting the T in METT-T (i.e., Terrain)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tukhachevskii View Post
    Baden-Powell's, War in Practice, contains his recollections and lessons learned from the Boer War and makes for good reading (especially in terms of an army that has just snatched victory from the jaws of defeat- its a tradition -, and has had to learn the basics the hard way all over again), see esp. Chapter IV The Selection of Ground and Posistions and he also proposes an X shaped parapet position (p. 168) Reminds me of The Defence of Duffer's Drift

Fingers-crossed the link works
    There was actually an article in the Marine Corps Gazette, about a year or so back, where the author, an infantry officer, wrote about discovering the Baden Powell book in a yard sale, and then went on to call for a return of the X-shaped sandbag parapet.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Granite_State View Post
    There was actually an article in the Marine Corps Gazette, about a year or so back, where the author, an infantry officer, wrote about discovering the Baden Powell book in a yard sale, and then went on to call for a return of the X-shaped sandbag parapet.
    Yes. It was actually that article (January 2010, Pg 26-7? Sorry can't get link uploaded) that cued me onto Baden Powell!

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tukhachevskii View Post
    Yes. It was actually that article (January 2010, Pg 26-7? Sorry can't get link uploaded) that cued me onto Baden Powell!
    For those playing the home edition, here is the link The article in question starts on page 26.

http://www.marinecorpsgazette-digita...001?pg=30#pg28