Thread: Northern Ireland (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Having spent a few hours reading the report – obviously only a small part – I hope the current generation of soldiers do take note. More importantly I hope it is read by lots of politicians and they take Ken’s point that these people were not cut-out for crowd control. They ignored their rules of engagement and, after the event, closed ranks and lied about what had occurred. Never having served I do not know if this was just poor unit discipline or is it part of esprit the corp that you lie to cover for your mates. The report also looked at the arrests and came to the conclusion that the abuse of prisoners was institutionalised rather than specific to this incident. If this is how the troops were treating the locals it is little wonder it took so long to resolve. If it is typical, and ongoing in Afghanistan and elsewhere, then we will never win militarily or by COIN and should withdraw before we do any more harm.
    At £190 million this has not been a cheap exercise but if we actually learn something form it I am happy to have contributed to it in a small way.
    Last edited by JJackson; 06-16-2010 at 07:30 PM.