Thread: "Bring your kids to your recall to active duty" day?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wasn't the IRR always intended as the 'ready' manpower of a rapidly-expanded mobilization-based Army a la WWII?

If you're not mobilizing the nation, the recalling the IRR seems dumb. I know we have to do it because we're trying to fight 2 wars while not impacting Americans in their day-to-day lives (ie, rapidly-expanding in a mobilization-based Army), but it seems a bit stupid to me, and has for several years.
    Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

Default My harsh response

It was probably unfair. A lot of good points have been made in the lady's defense. However, she was working when recalled, and presumably had to arrange day care. The tone of the article, which is the reporter's actions, not the lady in question, struck me more along the lines of "I didn't think I'd have to follow through on my end of it."

The point I was driving at, which got lost in the tone of my response, is that there are options that were not even mentioned in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by BayonetBrant View Post
    Wasn't the IRR always intended as the 'ready' manpower of a rapidly-expanded mobilization-based Army a la WWII?

If you're not mobilizing the nation, the recalling the IRR seems dumb. I know we have to do it because we're trying to fight 2 wars while not impacting Americans in their day-to-day lives (ie, rapidly-expanding in a mobilization-based Army), but it seems a bit stupid to me, and has for several years.
    The idea behind IRR is to allow people to be called as individuals on an as needed basis. In that regard, it's similar to IMA, without the opportunity to earn retirement points through drill attendance.
    Last edited by J Wolfsberger; 03-02-2009 at 03:11 PM.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.