Thread: What is the "Surge?"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It was kind of hokey and broad-brushed over many important details of the Surge beyond the tactical changes that were made.

I do like that history channel guy...maybe that's why it reminded me of a H.C. show, which I enjoy.

To a layman that knows nothing of what happened, it's probably appropriate.
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Quote Originally Posted by jkm_101_fso View Post
    It was kind of hokey and broad-brushed over many important details of the Surge beyond the tactical changes that were made. I do like that history channel guy...maybe that's why it reminded me of a H.C. show, which I enjoy. To a layman that knows nothing of what happened, it's probably appropriate.
    Y'all made some good points. David is right, the interviews are good. Guess I have to learn to step back and take a deep breathe on these type of things.

Council Member

SSQ, Summer 2010: Tribal Dynamics and the Iraq Surge
    ....No one has argued that the influx of additional combat forces was the sole factor responsible for the reduction in violence in Iraq. The conventional wisdom is that the surge, working in combination with other causal factors, resulted in an improved situation. Some, however, question what the surge has actually accomplished, arguing that while it worked tactically from a military perspective, it failed strategically from a political perspective. The objective of this research is to gain an understanding of why that is the case by addressing three key questions. First, since scholars and subject matter experts have identified other causal factors besides the surge, could there be another? Second, is it possible that this “dynamic” factor, acting as a top-level governing element, directly affected the behavior of the others? Third, could this top-level “dynamic” factor be the primary reason the surge succeeded tactically but failed politically and strategically? Preliminary analysis suggests this could be the case. After a more in-depth evaluation, one factor did emerge that fit the category of a “top-level governing element,” that being the principle of Iraqi tribal dynamics......