Thread: The 2006 Hezbollah-Israeli War (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Recommendations? The 2006 Lebanon War

I'm eagerly looking for stuff on the Lebanon War of 2006, but I know it's too early - all I've found are some articles online, and some interesting stuff about Hezbollah's anti-tank exploits using the RPG-29 (which apparently is one nasty mother).

Anyone know of anything in the works or available?

Matt
    "Give a good leader very little and he will succeed. Give a mediocrity a great deal and he will fail." - General George C. Marshall

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattC86
    I'm eagerly looking for stuff on the Lebanon War of 2006, but I know it's too early - all I've found are some articles online, and some interesting stuff about Hezbollah's anti-tank exploits using the RPG-29 (which apparently is one nasty mother).

If you haven't already, I recommend you peruse the Hezbollah TTP thread in the MidEast forum, you will find member-posted links to several substantive articles and papers.

The Hezbollah: A Win For 'The Best Guerrilla Force in the World'? thread also has some bits worth reading through, although the content of that thread tends more towards op-ed and commentary than the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by MattC86 View Post

Matt
    Don't know if this is linked in the threads mentioned, but it is very good. There's also a number of interesting comments and links at http://abumuqawama.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by SteveMetz; 11-28-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Council Member

Default In re: MattC86 and Second Lebanon War

First, two apologies:

1) That I seem to have been tardy in posting, and thus the thread seems to have proceeded beyond the topic;

and

(2) That perhaps this would be better posted in the thread Jedburgh noted; relatedly, apologies if some of these links have already been posted in that thread.

Apologies stated,

Some sources are:

The Jaffe Center for Strategic Studies (Tel Aviv U) - albeit with a new name - has articles on the war in its journal, Strategic Assessment: http://www.inss.org.il/publications....=&read=839#9.3. It also has some books out or coming out, but those appear to be Hebrew-only.

The International Journal of Intelligence and Counterintelligence (Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 583-601, December 2007) has "Israel's Military Intelligence Performance in the Second Lebanon War," by Uri Bar-Joseph.

Apparently the Journal of Strategic Studies will be publishing an award-winning article, and posting it online for free, in its January 2008 issue: Avi Kober, "The IDF in the Second Lebanon War: Why the Poor Performance?" http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/01402390.asp.

Tony Cordesman had a nice, long lessons-learned on the war posted soon after it ended, but I can't seem to find it on the CSIS website: my hunch is they wanted to ensure this book - http://www.csis.org/component/option...,view/id,4168/ - would sell. If you want, private message me, as I downloaded a copy when it was downloadable.

It appears preliminary findings of the Winograd Commission are available:
    http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/854051.html

Parameters had two articles in its Spring 2007 issue:
    "The 2006 Lebanon War: Lessons Learned” by Sarah E. Kreps
    “Israel’s Uncertain Strategic Future” by Louis René Beres
    http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usawc/P...g/contents.htm

Regards
    Jeff

Thanks to whomever (Jedburgh, I presume) for moving this to its proper location - I won't miss that again.

And a bigger thanks for the guidance - lots of good stuff. I always appreciate people putting up with my neediness.

Matt
    "Give a good leader very little and he will succeed. Give a mediocrity a great deal and he will fail." - General George C. Marshall

Default Detailed Tactical / Operational History of the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah War?

Anyone know of a good detailed Tactical or Operational History of the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah War? I am not looking for a political history but rather an account of what happened on the battlefield.

Suggestions?
    -----------

Chris Albon,
    Ph.D. Student / UC Davis
    Blogger / War and Health

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Albon View Post
    Anyone know of a good detailed Tactical or Operational History of the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah War? I am not looking for a political history but rather an account of what happened on the battlefield.

Suggestions?

Try this
    "Law cannot limit what physics makes possible." Humanitarian Apsects of Airpower (papers of Frederick L. Anderson, Hoover Institution, Stanford University)