Thread: Energy Security

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Reinventing Fire

Link to the Rocky Mountain Institues newest Energy project called Reinventing Fire, pretty interesting stuff.

http://rmi.org/reinventingfire

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
    I'm curious on this... is there tangible evidence of significant currently unknown reserves in Mexico? I've always suspected that there's a lot of potential, simply because PEMEX is so thoroughly inept (they obviously haven't caught up with the "reserves must be replaced" mantra) and so little effective exploration has been done, but I've no hard evidence to back that suspicion up. I'm sure your opinion is better informed than mine... what do you think?
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    I'm curious on this... is there tangible evidence of significant currently unknown reserves in Mexico? I've always suspected that there's a lot of potential, simply because PEMEX is so thoroughly inept (they obviously haven't caught up with the "reserves must be replaced" mantra) and so little effective exploration has been done, but I've no hard evidence to back that suspicion up. I'm sure your opinion is better informed than mine... what do you think?
    Yes, I have seen the data there. Mexico is under-explored. There are many structures there that have been seen with seismic surveys, but no wells have been drilled to test these structures for oil. This is in shallow waters. Furthermore, they really haven't even looked in deep waters.

Council Member

Default Mexican oil production

Misifus,
    Thanks for the Economist post... I had not seen it.
    The article mentions the work of David Shields... are you familiar with his analyses of Mexican oil production?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
    Misifus,
    Thanks for the Economist post... I had not seen it.
    The article mentions the work of David Shields... are you familiar with his analyses of Mexican oil production?
    No. I've worked enough with Pemex in their centers in Cd. Carmen, Villahermosa, and D.F. to draw my own conclusions.

Council Member

Default Energy Institute's peak oil conference

The UK's Energy Institute describes itself as:

"the professional body for the energy industry, delivering good practice and professionalism across the depth and breadth of the sector....
    A Royal Chartered membership organisation, the EI supports around 15,000 individuals and 250 companies across 100 countries, serving society with independence, professionalism and a wealth of expertise in energy matters."

Virtually everyone views EI and its membership as highly credible.

Please note the topic of their conference in 3 weeks, as well as the involvement of PO analysts like Skrebowski and Bentley, etc:
    http://www.energyinst.org/events/view/591

EI is taking a rather open-ended approach to the PO issue. Their conference will focus on the practical aspect which ultimately matters, "Have we reached the end of cheap oil and if so what effect will this have?"
    Whatever combination of factors prevents us from having a steady flow of affordable oil, the fact remains that (unless we find an adequate replacement very quickly) we may face risks on an unprecedented scale.

Council Member

Default DSB report on Climate Change

Last week the Defense Science Board released its study, "Trends and Implications of Climate Change for National and International Security" (175 pgs):
    http://www.acq.osd.mil/dsb/reports/2...ate_Change.pdf

I have not finished reading the entire report, but it is clear from the outset that the DSB views CC as ongoing and serious, and that it accepts the "compelling evidence that climate impacts are observable, measurable, real, and having both near and long-term consequences" (p. vii).
    The report has a particular focus on Africa, water and the potential for failed states.
    The report also contains a detailed set of recommendations for various federal agencies (both civilian and military).