Thread: Studying a Wrist Watch: the U.S. Military and COIN

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    The only way I see solving the institutional resistance to COIN and lesser but more likely conflict in the US military is finding another George Marshall to erssentially relieve any and all GOs who cannot get with the program, just as Marshall did on the eve of WWII.
    Linking back to the Yingling article discussion, rather than more congressional oversight on promotions (and more bureaucracy), what we may need is a loosening up--allowing the key commanders the latitude to promote and place officers without as much reference to centralized boards. It may require some sort of breveting to work.
    Why shouldn't we have a Van Fleet who came ashore at Normandy as a regimental commander and ended up the war as a corps commander? The key is that you are establishing a form of a good ole boy network based on personal relationships and not just perceived competence (if official records truly reveal competence).
    The current system wouldn't give Marshall the chance to do what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
    Linking back to the Yingling article discussion, rather than more congressional oversight on promotions (and more bureaucracy), what we may need is a loosening up--allowing the key commanders the latitude to promote and place officers without as much reference to centralized boards. It may require some sort of breveting to work.
    Why shouldn't we have a Van Fleet who came ashore at Normandy as a regimental commander and ended up the war as a corps commander? The key is that you are establishing a form of a good ole boy network based on personal relationships and not just perceived competence (if official records truly reveal competence).
    The current system wouldn't give Marshall the chance to do what he did.
    Phil,

Flex in the selection process is certainly needed. As for Marshall and today, I believe you are correct in your assessment. I have numerous friends and contacts and many have remarked on the fact that no one in nearly 5 years has been relieved. I am not a "chop their heads off" guy but I find that remarkable.

Best

Tom