Thread: Studies on radicalization & comments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Uh, Bob

-- those aren't 'hows,' they're really 'whats.' My question was HOW you get the US government and specifically, the Congress, to do those what thingys you have often suggested...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Better we strive hard to change ourselves, than to demand that everyone else change to suit our out of date expectations.
    Well said and I agree but that's pie in the sky...
    1. Declare and end to the war on terrorism.
    That's been done. In theory anyway.
    ...Running around the world declaring that we are a nation at war makes us sound like Chicken Little.
    I totally agree, a lot of folks in Congress and the country will or do also agree -- unfortunately, there are probably more that do or will not for various reasons including turf protection -- what do you propose to do about them? I'm sure you recall that hope is not a plan...

I agree with your other numbered items but am unsure how you propose to get there and frankly, quite strongly doubt that it is possible.

Oh, and as to this:
    That could be a direct lift from the transcripts of British Parliment back in 1775...I suspect that is where you either first heard or used the line!
    Actually I first heard it on the border of Nubia even longer ago. It was true then, true in Gaul in 300 BC, true in 1775 AD and is still true today. Passing it off does not make it one bit less true; ignoring that reality by a strategic thinker is umm, surprising...

And you still have not proffered one single idea for HOW you plan to make that change occur...

Backwards Observer. Simply stop looking at your fourth point of contact, look ahead and you too can and will become cynical. It's absoutely painless -- and it keeps you alive.

You can say I'm old because I "unnerstan" that I am. Generally when I look about today, I'm pretty thankful that I am..

Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Default Lord knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Backwards Observer. Simply stop looking at your fourth point of contact, look ahead and you too can and will become cynical. It's absoutely painless -- and it keeps you alive.
    I try to face up and be a good cynic, but this world is so unusually interesting that I reckon it's nigh on a miracle that there are any good folks at all. Maybe it's some Isaiah 11:6 thing I'm trying to get over.

Isaiah 11:6 (King James Version)

6The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
    I guess in this world the little child is probably holding an rpg...whoa, I think I'm starting to see the light!

Wink Grenades, Nigel. The kids use grenades. The bad guys

start 'em off with throwing rocks and then, when they get good, escalate to grenades...

The RPGs are for the teenagers who get those with which to be surly (in lieu of body piercing).

Actually, one shouldn't be cynical and I hope I'm not unduly so -- but it does flat pay to be suspicious.