Thread: Pregnancy - a court martial offense?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    I'm interested in seeing how this pans out. I imagine certain ideological positions on the left and right will be upset about this rule.
    Heh. I'm trying to think of something that those people don't get upset about.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    Heh. I'm trying to think of something that those people don't get upset about.
    So true!
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

"Usual US Army policy is to send pregnant soldiers home from combat zones within 14 days."
    Maybe someone with more medical education or maybe ovaries can explain how this may be a good idea.

That date would be at about 2 months pregnancy. Almost all women should still be able to work pretty well at that time and for many more weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Maybe someone with more medical education or maybe ovaries can explain how this may be a good idea.

That date would be at about 2 months pregnancy. Almost all women should still be able to work pretty well at that time and for many more weeks.
    My main concern would be the horrible environmental quality on FOBs in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Afghan contractors used to burn anything and everything in the trash pit at the PRT (including cleaning fluids, refrigerators and other equipment and appliances). All my friends stationed there had respiratory problems for months after coming home. I can't imagine what that kind of stuff would be doing to a developing fetus.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Council Member

I've got to second that. Even the person with the most do-nothing job in Iraq or Afghanistan can be struck by a mortar at any time on their base or struck by an IED or RPG while traveling from point A to B. That includes the child in the womb. That kid didn't sign up for combat. I'm not a big proponent of rewarding bad behavior (sending someone home if they purposely got pregnant to avoid duty), but you can't punish the innocent and helpless for someone else's irresponsibility.

I would add one thing to the thread. I know a woman who was a very good officer. She was married to my FSO. She found out that she was pregnant shortly after deployment. It was neither planned nor expected and she was the type who really wanted to deploy with her Soldiers. I'm not sure how this policy would have impacted her (or her husband) seeing as how she was unknowingly pregnant before deployment and found out about it in theater.

Council Member

Schmedlap,

That's really the rub. How is it possible to discrimate the honest folks from the dirt-bags, especially considering there is probably going to be a lot more nookie pre-deployment than is typical?

Council Member

Entropy,

In terms of administering a centralized system like we administer most other things, I think it would be very difficult to come up with objective standards. But small unit leaders know who is trying to get pregnant. I know we don't like doing this, because subjective calls are more difficult to defend, but we might need to rely on small unit leaders to police the bad behavior.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post

Aside from the hazards stated above, almost all miscarriages are 1st trimester. There's probably a certain reluctance to be held responsible.

Requiring the use of effective contraception would seem a reasonable move to me.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    Aside from the hazards stated above, almost all miscarriages are 1st trimester. There's probably a certain reluctance to be held responsible.

Requiring the use of effective contraception would seem a reasonable move to me.
    This is a true catch/22......if you require contraception, you've now run aground of those with religious objections to contraceptions.

I mean the real effect of this reg is a strong incentive to use contraceptives, but to actually expressly require them is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Someone posted on another site - what happens if she gets preggers on her mid-tour leave?

Another unconfirmed source said the punishment was downgraded to a letter of reprimand instead of a court martial after pressure resulting from the article.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?