Thread: Vietnam Veterans Day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default Vietnam Veterans Day

Coming up to the 50th anniversary of the start of the war in Vietnam - 29 March 2012 is marked as Vietnam Veterans Day.

Simple math informs us that the youngest at the end (being 18) would now be just about 57 years old. Very few still serving.

The human cost of that war was too great on all sides and the wounds to the National psyche of the US are yet to fully heal.

May I be so bold as to suggest that in keeping with the spirit of Vietnam Veterans Day this thread be dedicated (and limited) to:

* the memory of the fallen, and

* also in honour of the surviving veterans, and

* things positive that came out of that war.

(Here I request that a moderator take responsibility to police this and delete any posts which are not made in accordance with and in the sprit of the above.)

I end with - as a dedication to the fallen - the last part of the lyrics of the song 'Empty Chairs at Empty Tables' from the show 'Les Miserables':

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me

That I live and you are gone.
    There's a grief that can't be spoken.
    There's a pain goes on and on.

Phantom faces at the window.
    Phantom shadows on the floor.
    Empty chairs at empty tables
    Where my friends will meet no more.

Oh my friends, my friends, don't ask me
    What your sacrifice was for
    Empty chairs at empty tables
    Where my friends will meet no more

Banned

In the midst of that tragic war the best of America came to the fore countless times. One the best was Ed Freeman:

There are few true hero’s in the world. Many are referred to as such but few meet the exacting criteria.

Ed Freeman was one such hero for many reasons. As pilot he saved the lives of soldiers in Vietnam who, without his selfless acts, would have certainly died. Nobody else was there to help them.
    He received the Medal of Honor – late because his application missed the statute of limitations which was subsequently changed – for the bravery he showed. His actions were depicted in the recent movie “We Were Soldiers.” He died last August and his death missed mention in mainstream media; bailouts and elections were deemed more important.

It is worth remembering that in our breakneck, celebrity-laced world, that real people do great things. Ed Freeman is one such person. RIP.

Freeman's official Medal of Honor citation reads:

Captain Ed W. Freeman, United States Army, distinguished himself by numerous acts of conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary intrepidity on 14 November 1965 while serving with Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). As a flight leader and second in command of a 16-helicopter lift unit, he supported a heavily engaged American infantry battalion at Landing Zone X-Ray in the Ia Drang Valley, Republic of Vietnam. The unit was almost out of ammunition after taking some of the heaviest casualties of the war, fighting off a relentless attack from a highly motivated, heavily armed enemy force. When the infantry commander closed the helicopter landing zone due to intense direct enemy fire, Captain Freeman risked his own life by flying his unarmed helicopter through a gauntlet of enemy fire time after time, delivering critically needed ammunition, water and medical supplies to the besieged battalion. His flights had a direct impact on the battle's outcome by providing the engaged units with timely supplies of ammunition critical to their survival, without which they would almost surely have gone down, with much greater loss of life. After medical evacuation helicopters refused to fly into the area due to intense enemy fire, Captain Freeman flew 14 separate rescue missions, providing life-saving evacuation of an estimated 30 seriously wounded soldiers -- some of whom would not have survived had he not acted. All flights were made into a small emergency landing zone within 100 to 200 meters of the defensive perimeter where heavily committed units were perilously holding off the attacking elements. Captain Freeman's selfless acts of great valor, extraordinary perseverance and intrepidity were far above and beyond the call of duty or mission and set a superb example of leadership and courage for all of his peers. Captain Freeman's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.
    From the Butler Report

Council Member

Default One of too many

Dave Cavis, KIA 22 Feb 1968 (Binh Duong Province):

Forever young.

JMA: The Mar-Apr 2012 issue of The VVA Veteran (Vietnam Veterans of America), pp.33-34, has this article, "War, Continued ... Vietnam Veterans in the Rhodesian Bush War". Go to that issue's Digital Edition and click on Page 1 (dropdown page menu - click on Page 32 - Page 33) - & Zoom.

Regards

Mike

Banned

Default John 15:13

"Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to

ALBANESE, LEWIS

Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Army, Company B, 5th Battalion (Airmobile), 7th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division. Place and date: Republic of Vietnam, 1 December 1966. Entered service at: Seattle, Wash. Born: 27 April 1946, Venice, Italy. G.O. No.: 12, 3 April 1968.

Citation:
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life and beyond the call of duty. Pfc. Albanese's platoon, while advancing through densely covered terrain to establish a blocking position, received intense automatic weapons fire from close range. As other members maneuvered to assault the enemy position, Pfc. Albanese was ordered to provide security for the left flank of the platoon. Suddenly, the left flank received fire from enemy located in a well-concealed ditch. Realizing the imminent danger to his comrades from this fire, Pfc. Albanese fixed his bayonet and moved aggressively into the ditch. His action silenced the sniper fire, enabling the platoon to resume movement toward the main enemy position. As the platoon continued to advance, the sound of heavy firing emanated from the left flank from a pitched battle that ensued in the ditch which Pfc. Albanese had entered. The ditch was actually a well-organized complex of enemy defenses designed to bring devastating flanking fire on the forces attacking the main position. Pfc. Albanese, disregarding the danger to himself, advanced 100 meters along the trench and killed 6 of the snipers, who were armed with automatic weapons. Having exhausted his ammunition, Pfc. Albanese was mortally wounded when he engaged and killed 2 more enemy soldiers in fierce hand-to-hand combat. His unparalleled actions saved the lives of many members of his platoon who otherwise would have fallen to the sniper fire from the ditch, and enabled his platoon to successfully advance against an enemy force of overwhelming numerical superiority. Pfc. Albanese's extraordinary heroism and supreme dedication to his comrades were commensurate with the finest traditions of the military service and remain a tribute to himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

Banned

Default Don't forget the Aussies...

Australian Involvement In The Vietnam War
    1962 - 1975

Served: 49,211
    Died: 520
    Wounded: 2,396
    Men awarded the Victoria Cross: 4

Banned

Default Medal of Honor

The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to

CLAUSEN, RAYMOND M.

Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 263, Marine Aircraft Croup 16, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. Place and date: Republic of Vietnam, 31 January 1970. Entered service at: New Orleans, La. Born: 14 October 1947, New Orleans, La.

Citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 263 during operations against enemy forces. Participating in a helicopter rescue mission to extract elements of a platoon which had inadvertently entered a minefield while attacking enemy positions, Pfc. Clausen skillfully guided the helicopter pilot to a landing in an area cleared by 1 of several mine explosions. With 11 marines wounded, 1 dead, and the remaining 8 marines holding their positions for fear of detonating other mines, Pfc. Clausen quickly leaped from the helicopter and, in the face of enemy fire, moved across the extremely hazardous mineladen area to assist in carrying casualties to the waiting helicopter and in placing them aboard. Despite the ever-present threat of further mine explosions, he continued his valiant efforts, leaving the comparatively safe area of the helicopter on 6 separate occasions to carry out his rescue efforts. On 1 occasion while he was carrying 1 of the wounded, another mine detonated, killing a corpsman and wounding 3 other men. Only when he was certain that all marines were safely aboard did he signal the pilot to lift the helicopter. By the courageous, determined and inspiring efforts in the face of the utmost danger, Pfc. Clausen upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the U.S. Naval Service.

Council Member

One positive outcome of the Vietnam War: enough time was bought in which to shore up Thailand in the face of its Communist insurgency, and that country plus Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia, all of which also faced Communist insurgencies, did not fall to Communism. This is not merely theoretical: All of those people lived and live today at a level of prosperity and social cohesion not to be seen in (post-)Communist countries. The legacy of Communism still plagues the people of Vietnam to this day, for instance. You may not see it on your holiday, but if you penetrate the society you will begin to see the nastiness.

The foregoing was a factor in winning the Cold War.

I think we tend to forget that.