Thread: More Piracy Near Somalia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The other angle?

What will be interesting to watch, although I expect we shall have to wait for historians, is how the changing commanders alters the perception of the CTF. Secondly how the commander relates to non-CTF "partners" like India and PRC. Especially so for the PRC-Singapore relationship.

davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    What will be interesting to watch, although I expect we shall have to wait for historians, is how the changing commanders alters the perception of the CTF. Secondly how the commander relates to non-CTF "partners" like India and PRC. Especially so for the PRC-Singapore relationship.

davidbfpo
    I believe that the PLAN-RSN working relationship will be based on common area interests and the prime focus on maritime transport to travel those waters unimpeded.

Somehow, I would also like to think that with the Turkish command, and the future Singaporean command, the perception of CTF might shift away from a "this is an American-led/influenced effort" towards one of a more neutral international reputation? Will that be plausible?

Council Member

Default Plausible and reasonable (IMO)

Choice of a Singaporean seems reasonable because it links the two bounds of the Indian Ocean pirate problem, from the Horn of Africa to the Straits. It also accords with my policy beliefs that the Indian Ocean is not a US or NATO lake. It also is not a Chinese lake (despite Menzies' book, "1421").

Sort of takes us back to the pre-colonialization trade routes of the "Indonesian" (using that term generically for the SE Asian end of the arc) to India to Madagascar arc (that island being settled by folks from "Indonesia"). I wish your country good fortune in assuming this responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    Choice of a Singaporean seems reasonable because it links the two bounds of the Indian Ocean pirate problem, from the Horn of Africa to the Straits. It also accords with my policy beliefs that the Indian Ocean is not a US or NATO lake. It also is not a Chinese lake (despite Menzies' book, "1421").

Sort of takes us back to the pre-colonialization trade routes of the "Indonesian" (using that term generically for the SE Asian end of the arc) to India to Madagascar arc (that island being settled by folks from "Indonesia"). I wish your country good fortune in assuming this responsibility.
    We've taken command today.

All the best to the naval personnel who have to make this work.

Quote Originally Posted by tpjkevin View Post
    We've taken command today.

All the best to the naval personnel who have to make this work.
    Break a leg as the saying goes in the theatre! Drop us a line once in a while and let us know how things are going.

Cheers,

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Break a leg as the saying goes in the theatre! Drop us a line once in a while and let us know how things are going.

Cheers,

Marc
    Thanks for the good wishes but I'm not part of it. Just sharing the news here and there.

Default Image counts

Quote Originally Posted by tpjkevin View Post
    (Taken from) Somehow, I would also like to think that with the Turkish command, and the future Singaporean command, the perception of CTF might shift away from a "this is an American-led/influenced effort" towards one of a more neutral international reputation? Will that be plausible?
    Others here can comment on Info Ops, but it would be worth trying. All depends who you want to inform or influence, e.g. Somalis. CTF IIRC has a website (or its predecessor did), having a commanders message and a Q&A; even an invite to the press to come aboard, even Al-Jazeera.

davidbfpo