This an email I received from a Kenyan friend of mine:

"Dear Carl,
>> Greetings.Your perception about kenya was right.We had always embraced peace untill after the elections were rigged.
>> In the past 6 days i have seen what i failed to see in Congo.
>> I have witnessed people being hacked to death.Tribes turning against other tribes.
>> I have witnessed mothers carrying their babies on thier backs being shot in cold blood.
>> The GSU(general service unit) a faction of Kenya police has been shooting youngmen and ladies unselectively.
>> The scenes that i have seen in the Kisumu provincial Hospital Morgue are indeed ugly and disturbing.The akwardly pilled dead bodies,the gunshot wounds in them and the stinking blood that had oozed from their bodies onto the morgues floor are indeed sad memories.
>> I saw much more that i can not be able to expalin in email.
>> The shopping malls too have not been spared,gas stations have been burned down,pharmacies and all buildings belonging to particular tribes are no more.
>> The effects of clinging to power by barbaric means are indeed costing the african people.This act is robbing the africans thier democratic rights.its maiming their brothers and sisters.Their sons and fathers are being killed for defending their rights.
>> Indeed poor governance in african countries is root cause of evil.
>> Best Regards,"

Perhaps this is bigger than the newspapers are letting on.