Thread: The Way Of War

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    "compression of time and space"?
    Are you talking about space travel or warfare?
    Primarily warfare at the operational level, specifically the time/space/assets it takes to break the will of the opposing forces to fight eg: cabinet warfare->napoleonic warfare->nuclear warfare->sub-state warfare etc.

Space is a little more difficult to define, eg: cyberspace, sub-orbital space, all the way down to geographical space (urban/rural) and how our understanding/conceptualization of time/space has changed as a part of the history of war and warfare.

I'm in the process of understanding/explaining how/if this compression of time and space has any impact on the level and intensity of violence during and between wars:

- Warfare defined as the use of violence/force to break the will of an opponent to fight/resist.
    - the role of social-media/cyber-space in Syria or Burma for example.
    - World War 2 Vs the Cold War in understanding the effects of the compression of time and space on the level and intensity of violence.
    - WOT (Iraq/Afghan) sub-state warfare is almost the inverse of the Cold War's compression of time and space.
    - Cyber/Sub-orbital space warfare is the most prominent, in so far as it does not require the physical presence of armed forces and the potential effect is instantaneous (based on future projections on the possible lethality of both cyber/sub-orbital warfare in 20-30 years time).
    - Cyber/Sub-orbital space warfare almost looks like it has the potential to be a evolution in siege warfare if you take Nth Korea, China or Iran as an example.

I've finished my theoretical model/general theory on explaining why the level and intensity of violence oscillates during and between wars. Now I'm trying to get a better grasp on warfare as it is today and a 20-30 year future projection on how warfare will change. Thus far in my research the compression and utilization of time and space is starting to become the prime candidate for being the most significant dependent variable on warfare for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Taiko; 01-05-2013 at 05:44 AM.