Thread: Georgia's South Ossetia Conflict - Political Commentary

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by badtux View Post
    Uhm, only problem there is that fighting started on August 1. So Russian journalists being there on August 7 would not be unusual, it would be a case of journalists rushing to the nearest hot-spot in hopes of scooping each other (and Russian journalists because, well, nobody outside of Russia and Georgia really cared if Ossetian and Georgian forces were sniping and shelling each other, and certainly you would not see Georgian journalists in Tskhinvali!). If the Russian journalists were there *before* August 1, that would be unusual... but thus far we have no indication of that.

In other words, if you want to prove a conspiracy theory whereby Russia chose the time that Georgia invaded, this won't do it.
    I'll just say that Russian antics are certainly not limited to prepositioning journalists in this region. Kaur has mucho time there and here, and, I have at least 13 years of proof to back that statement.

Additionally, I previously asked you to introduce yourself here, and I think sufficient time has passed. Please do take the time to do said.

EDIT:
    RUSSIAN JOURNALISTS USED AS CHANNEL FOR TBILISI-MOSCOW CONTACTS
    Thursday, May 15, 2008

Last week Georgia and its breakaway province of Abkhazia were close to a war that would surely have involved Russia.
    Regards, Stan
    Last edited by Stan; 08-25-2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Link !
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I'll just say that Russian antics are certainly not limited to prepositioning journalists in this region.
    Indeed. That is a given.

Additionally, I previously asked you to introduce yourself here, and I think sufficient time has passed. Please do take the time to do said.
    I started to do so. Unfortunately there are limits on what I can say that came into play when I started to do so, and the results were... unsatisfying. A non-disclosure disclosure is somewhat less than useful. I will continue to think of a way that I can give an idea of what I am doing without divulging information that is not to be divulged for reasons I can't say.

Indeed. That is a given.

I started to do so. Unfortunately there are limits on what I can say that came into play when I started to do so, and the results were... unsatisfying. A non-disclosure disclosure is somewhat less than useful. I will continue to think of a way that I can give an idea of what I am doing without divulging information that is not to be divulged for reasons I can't say.
    Perhaps, but it's still helpful for those you're conversing with to have at least a basic idea of your interests and (when possible) a bit of background. Otherwise it's all too easy to come off as a troll or agitator (which isn't to say that's what you're doing...but to point out the reasoning behind such introductions). You'll notice that even some of our more prolific posters have pretty brief intros.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Fair enough. But as Steve opined, not real easy to gauge where you're coming from based on 2.5 kids at home and a dog on the way.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus