Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan
I don't think it's likely that the status quo ante will be restored in any exact way. Whether or not the new status quo favors Russia remains to be seen. If they gain Crimea but see the rest of the Ukraine end up in firmly pro-Western hands that is hardly a win.
I agree with this assessment. There's a couple of outstanding questions:

o What will Ukraine's post-war political landscape look like? Will it be inclusive of ethnic Russian interests (and what are those interests)?

o What will be Ukraine's relationship with EU and NATO? What kind of security and economic guarantees will be extended to Ukraine from those organizations?

o Assuming a Ukrainian victory over the insurgents, where will the defeated fighters go? This region has a history of roaming armed brigades so if defeat seems imminient, will they withdraw to Russia (or Crimea) and establish a base in exile? Will Russia disarm them or keep them on a low burn for future political leverage?

o What will Russia's political landscape look like? The conflict thus far seems to have strengthened the nationalists and realists in his administration - there seems to be a very distant hope that any liberal (read: Western) influence on policy will ever return. If defeated in Ukraine and sanctions continue, will this trigger a political crisis in Moscow (I doubt it)? Who could come to power afterwards?

o What relationship does the U.S. and Europe want with Russia post-conflict? And how will the outcome affect Russia's perspective on other international security issues (i.e. Syria, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Central Asia, etc)?

I classify the conflict in Crimea and eastern Ukraine as two different conflicts even though the belligerents are the same. The reason is that IMO Russia's intention in Crimea and eastern Ukraine are very different: it just so happens that Russia executed two wars (one direct, one proxy) simultaneously against the same adversary. Crimea is materially important for strategic and political reasons, and Russia's political claims are least nominally valid in comparison to the ones made regarding eastern Ukraine (why didn't Russia annex Donetsk after the region's independence referendum?). The conflict in eastern Ukraine, however, I think is aimed at keeping Russian interests at the bargaining table when Ukraine's political crisis is finally resolved and, failing that, weakening Ukraine to the extent that it cannot seriously impede Russian security interests in Europe.