Thread: Retired Insurgents

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Thepartisan View Post
    I thought those re-education camps where from the south Vietnamese army traitors. And some of those where killed for sure.
    You're quite mistaken here. Reeducation camps were used for a variety of purposes, including the consolidation of power for the northern leadership. That included a "weeding" of VC cadre who might have ideas that were different than the direction given by Hanoi (and there were many of them). And before you tar the SVN as traitors, I suggest you take a look at the history of Vietnam. The north did not have a deadlock on nationalism.

Now maybe we should get back on topic for the thread....
    Last edited by Steve Blair; 06-04-2007 at 06:14 PM.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    You're quite mistaken here. Reeducation camps were used for a variety of purposes, including the consolidation of power for the northern leadership. That included a "weeding" of VC cadre who might have ideas that were different than the direction given by Hanoi (and there were many of them). And before you tar the SVN as traitors, I suggest you take a look at the history of Vietnam. The north did not have a deadlock on nationalism.
    I think Truong Nhu Tang's memoir captures this point really well. Here was a committed nationalist, big in the NLF, fought long and hard against the Americans and the Southern regime, and then (along with a lot of his fellow nationalists) was absolutely crushed when the North marched in, ended up in a reeducation camp, and eventually fled. Turns out the Americans were not the biggest problem facing the Southern nationalists. As well, a good lesson in "be careful what you wish for."